o4.

o4.

Odette's stomach was in knots.  She had never been so nervous before, leaving Terra and going to a different world.  Even though she knew her exact coordinates of the specific planetary system and their landing site, her hands shook as she pressed the numbers into the Acer's nav system. 

She was in the flyer's seat with Nova beside her with Bas behind them in one others.  Their baggage was stored in the cargo compartment below, carrying their few belongings they needed. 

The ship itself was made to transport ten, crafted from light metal, and with a thick glass shield with the ship's diagnostics projected onto it, like all Terrian ships.  Just like the Aviatrix, the Acer was built for speed – a streamline silver body, fifty-foot wingspan, and a tightly controlled, nuclear core for warp.

Of course, Evangeline was the key to all of these, regularly giving updates.  "All systems are ready for flight."

"Are we almost ready?" Nova asked as she looked over at Odette, positioning her earpiece against the curve of her ear. 

"Of course," she nodded, doing the same.  She sat up straighter in the seat, pulling the harness over both shoulders before fastening it across her chest. 

There was no time to be nervous then as she began going through the takeoff procedure – powering up the engines, enabling all shields, activating the core so it would be ready to go to warp once they'd left Terrian airspace. 

"Everyone harnessed in?" Odette asked as she pressed icon after icon on the display screen in front of her. 

"Confirmed," Nova nodded, checking over the diagnostics on her screen.  "And all systems are a go, like Evangeline said."

Odette checked over the coordinated once more before confirming them.  She shifted once more before she pressed the icon to engage the thrusters. 

Another voice came over their earpieces, the Terrian who was monitoring all space traffic.  "Acer One, you are clear for departure.  May the stars carry you onward."

"And Terra welcome you home," Odette spoke clearly, and began going through their list for takeoff.  "Engines powering on."

Nova checked her.  "Engines on."

The ship shuddered slightly around them before the ground below began to drop.  Once they hovered, she flipped another few switches. 

"Shields up."

"Shields up."

A wave of distortion rolled over the glass in front of them, locking them in a protective force field. 

"Engine lock disengaged."

"Disengaged."

"Thrusters at the ready."

"Thrusters ready."

"Ready for departure?"

She turned her head to look over at Nova and Bas.  They were both smiling as Odette's hand rested on the speed shifter. 

"Punch it."

In no time at all, they were leaving Terra and Vitrum's lights behind in favor of the darkened space beyond.  While Odette held onto the controls, the ship shuddered around them, fighting against the gravitational pull as they ascended.  She could feel pressure in her skull, something that any flyer had trained years for, and the change in the ship's cabin.  Nova knew what she was to do, though – switch on the ship's internal atmospheric balancers before any of them passed out.