o7.

o7.

Unlike whenever she met any other world leader for the first time, Odette was nervous when Massey pulled the Suburban up to the front entrance of Mugs. Maybe it was because this was the first time it was her assignment and she didn't have the Primes to lead the meeting. She didn't let it show at all, though. Knowing Padric, Nova, and Bas would be there helped immensely.

Duke caught on after he stopped Massey from opening her door and did it himself. He'd jumped out before jogging to the other side of the SUV. When he opened the door, he saw just how nervous she was in her eyes, her face void of the happiness and excitement that had been there just a half hour earlier.

"What's wrong?" he asked her. "Are you nervous?"

She nodded quickly once. "Why wouldn't I be nervous? Again, he's the President of the United States."

"He's only one person who's going to be there. You know Clark, Lizzie, Carson, and Maeve. And, of course, Padric, Nova, and Bas. The only people you haven't met other than him are my mom and my dad's best friend Graham...who just also happens to be White House Chief of Staff, too."

Duke grinned as Odette grimaced.

"You're not making me feel any less nervous. Why don't we just go back to the library? That's a good place, right?"

"Yes...but I'm hungry and Mom always makes something awesome for family dinner night. I'm not missing out on it and neither should you."

"Most of the foods here aren't quite as good as back home."

"Well, then, maybe you should try my mom's spaghetti and meatballs. You know, she once served them to the Italian president at a state dinner and even he said they were amazing. Now, that's saying something."

Duke had done what he'd set out to do – make Odette laugh again. It amazed her, how easy it was with him. Just like before, he seemed almost proud that he could accomplish it.

"Any day now, Odette. I'd rather not get my head chewed off for being late, though everyone will see that I have an excuse when you come in with me."

Sighing, she got out of the Suburban before he closed the door. She could see the group of people in the coffee shop, sitting around a food-covered table waiting for their last two guests to arrive. One older man she remembered seeing on a vid feed stood and headed behind the counter to grab another drink just as Duke opened the door, the bell chiming above it.

"It's about time, Duke Mitchell," a woman said sternly as he walked inside. "You're late."

"Sorry," he grinned, holding the door open behind him so Odette could squeeze by. "We got caught up."

All was quiet as Odette and Duke stood side by side in the middle of the coffee shop with every single pair of eyes on them. Odette couldn't help but notice the various expressions on each of their faces. Padric, Clark, and Carson were smirking. Lizzie, Maeve, and Clark's girlfriend Ava were smiling knowingly. Nova and Bas looked like they knew exactly what was going on and were struggling to approve of it.

But the other two people...well, Odette really didn't know what to think of President Calvin Mitchell and First Lady Alanna Mitchell, especially when they looked like they'd seen a ghost.

Duke's mother was the first one to snap out of it, though his father was looking back toward where the other man had disappeared. Before either of them spoke, they met each other's gazes before looking back at Odette.