35.

35.

Hours after baby Milo's birth, the atmosphere around Grand Central changed. It lightened in a sense, because there was a new little someone they were going to fight for and that was all they needed.

Exhausted, Lizzie was back in the Mitchell family quarters with Carson and the baby, sleeping. Odette had helped get them there, holding Milo as Carson carried Lizzie. She'd laughed the whole way, telling him she could walk. He smirked and rolled his eyes, saying it'd be a much slower journey had he let her.

Now, Odette was leaning against the doorway into their room, watching as Carson stood with his son in his arms, rocking him gently back and forth as he stared down at him. He knew she was there, but he didn't seem to care.

"If you need any sleep, just let me know, all right?" she told him then, looking over at Lizzie, who was sleeping soundly. "I will watch him."

Carson smiled, looking up at her. It was the happiest she'd seen him in a while. "I'm good for now."

Odette smiled back, nodding as she turned away, letting the makeshift door fall back into place.

For the first time since being back on Earth, the crystal of her comm bracelet lit up, indicating a direct comm. When she opened it up, a motion she found strange, there were only two words from Diana.

Roof. Now.

Instantly, her eyes went up to Duke's room, wondering if he was up there. If he wasn't, she could use the access from there. Slowly, she walked up the stairs, not seeing any light or Duke himself, and headed for the ladder leading to the roof.

Though it was still dark outside, the sun had begun rising in the east, though storm clouds were beginning to cover it and threatening rain. Tightening her jacket around her, she looked around, finally finding Diana on the west side, looking over the gardens on Vanderbilt. Duke was beside her, his back tense under Clark's military jacket, arms crossed.

"Is there something you wished to speak with me about?" Odette asked, looking at Diana and trying her best not to look at Duke. He was doing the same, looking down at the gardens, though his eyes would shift to her every few moments.

"Yes, of course," she nodded, turning toward the chairs it looked like they were sitting in before. "Sit."

She did, turning her head toward the Prime expectantly.

"We have begun the evacuation procedures for those not staying," she explained. "The first group will be leaving right after sunrise and the second just after. We have a Navigator and one of the Bodtics ships for transport."

"Lizzie and the baby will be on one, correct?"

She nodded. "The first. I believe Alanna is getting their things together since Lizzie is still resting. She will be going with the second group after making sure the first gets to D.C. safely."

Odette listened to the rest of the evacuation plan, glancing over at Duke every few minutes when he didn't move from the same spot he'd been. Diana noticed, of course, but didn't make note of it.

"There is one specific thing I will need you to do with the first group leaving. I need a team of flyers to escort in Aviatrixes. I have three other Guardians, along with four Bodtics and Tretytes, but I am in need of one more to lead. I would like for you to do it."

"And then come back."

When Diana paused, Odette didn't even have to see her glance over to Duke to know it was what they'd been discussing before she got there.