11.

11.

Odette's dress was pale yellow, different from the darker colors all of the other women were in, and her hair was pulled back into a twisted knot on the back of her neck. After she got through White House security, she could see who the line of people was heading for once they turned the corner down a larger hallway.

President Mitchell and his family were greeting everyone who passed with handshakes and smiles. Even though she knew him personally, she understood then why the president was so well loved by the country he led. Everyone was smiling and laughing as they headed into the State Dining Room, which was beautifully decorated with large circular tables, white linen tablecloths, and the finest dinnerware.

Odette hung back as long as she could, letting everyone else pass so she was almost the last one in the procession line to the dining room. There wasn't any turning back once Duke caught her eye. It was at that moment she got a good look at him, making her breath catch in her throat. Dressed in a tux with a basic black bow tie, but she'd never seen him look any more handsome.

"Odette, you look beautiful!" Alanna smiled as she hugged her.

Odette returned it, giving them what she hoped was a natural smile. "Thank you. I have never seen you all look so...formal."

Alanna laughed as Calvin winked, giving her a hug, too. "No ACDC t-shirts at this kind of dinner."

"No, I guess not," Odette laughed.

She gave hugs to Lizzie, who wearing in a lavender dress, and Clark in his Marine dress blues.

"Mom would never let me wear a dress like that," Lizzie laughed as she held onto Odette's hand to get a better look at her.

"I never thought I would either, but Nova picked it out. I am sorry they could not be here, but there was something going on back home that had to be taken care of," she apologized as her eyes shifted to Duke. "I came, though, because I promised Duke I would try to."

With the way they were looking at each other, the rest of the Mitchell family turned to head into the dining room.

As the first family was announced, Duke reached forward and grabbed Odette's hand leaning forward to kiss her cheek, whispering in her ear, "You look beautiful."

She didn't reply, just giving him a slight but sad smile.

He held her hand tighter and pulled her into the dining room behind his family. With the new addition to the First Family, there were quite a few murmurs when Odette came in with Duke and sat with them at their table. She was happy she was seated so she was almost fully facing away from the bulk of the room, though she could still feel many pairs of eyes on her.

When everyone was situated, Calvin introduced Odette to the rest of the people at their table, including Vice President Alfred Hanes and his wife Yvonne. Graham, of course, was there, too, and he gave her a smile.

"Glad you could make it, Odette," he said.

Though many questions were asked about her by the Vice President and his wife during the dinner, Odette barely had to say a word as the entire Mitchell family took over most of the time. She was thankful they did, too, because she didn't think she could lie anymore, not when she knew what was going to be happening later that night...in less than two hours.

Before she'd come to the dinner, there was one last vid feed conference between them and the Primes. Odette could tell by their formal attire they were preparing for their arrival, dressed in what they usually would be for Alliance meetings between races. The white uniforms were lined with gold thread, buttons, and accents, along with their pins indicating their ranking in the Guardianship and multiple medals they'd received for the conflicts they'd been a part of in their time.