21st Silence

Tahimik lang si Alden habang ginagamot siya ng nurse. It was as if he's hiding himself again. The warmth he had for her is gone now. Inaalalayan pa rin siya nito sa paglabas ng ospital pero pakiramdam niya nasa malayo ang kaluluwa nito. They're walking towards a coffee shop, a walking distance from the hospital, to have a snack. They blend in with the crowd who were waiting for the pedestrian light to go green.

Medyo inilayo niya ng kaunti ang sarili kay Alden at hindi man lang nito napansin iyon. When their light went green, nakisabay sa mga tao si Alden sa pagtawid sa daan. Maine remained still on her spot. Nang mapansin na nito na wala siya sa tabi. It was already too late. The green light turned back to red.

Lungkot na napatingin siya sa nag-aalala nitong mukha sa kabilang parte ng daan. Cars and trucks passed by and the only thing that's in their mind was, What wrong this time?

Akala niya magiging okay na ang lahat. But she felt like there's something deeper than what he is showing. Kinuha niya ang phone and typed a message to Alden.

Ako itong nasaktan but you look the most troubled.

When he received her message, he immediately replied after reading.

Why did you stay there?

Something is bothering you, what is it?

Stay there. I'll run to you as soon as I can.

Don't. If you can't give me an answer then don't bother to go near me. I'm starting to look like an incompetent doctor.

What do you want me to do?! What do you want me to say?!

I want you to be honest with me. I'm having this feeling that you're acting the new you to appease me. I hate it when I'm doubting my own patient.

She saw him sigh and messed his hair.

Fine! I'm having trouble how to put you in my life. How to define your existence. How to limit myself with you without looking intrusive. I fear, Maine, that what I can offer to you is unhappiness. I fear that if my treatments done, you'll be gone in my life. I fear that you can never look pass me as your mute patient. I fear the complication of my decision.

Why are you having worries like this?

Because what I feel for you is beyond professionalism. I can't keep it forever.

Nagulantang si Maine sa mga salita nito. This could be considered a form of confession. Right?

I'm sorry. Forget that. I know you're starting over again with Jake.

What?! She looked up and saw him slowly retreating.

"Alden!" she shouted over the traffic noise. "Don't leave! Alden!"

He heard her. He stopped and looked at her then to the remaining numbers left before the go-signal for pedestrians. The remaining 15 second was spent by sending him a reply.

Me and Jake, we're good friends. It can never be more than that because whenever I look at you, you're more than a patient. Don't leave. Stay there and let's settle this inside the coffee shop.

The light finally turned green. She started walking in a slow pace and Alden soon walked over to help her. Pero bago pa siya nito maabutan ay isang paparating na motorsiklo ang papalapit sa kanya.

"Maine! Watch out!"

Alden's eyes went round in fear. Bigla nitong naalala ang duguang mukha ni Bea. Maine's eyes went round as well by the adrenaline rush brought by the situation. Binalingan niya ng tingin ang tumatakbong binata. Tama ba ang rinig niya?