27th Silence

Nakangiting pumasok sa isang seafood restaurant si Maine para mag-lunch. Namataan niyang naghihintay na sa mesa nila si Alden. He immediately smiled at the sight of her and stood up to help her with the seat. Magkikita naman sila two days after - sa Sabado - to resume her counseling pero nagpumilit pa rin itong makipag-lunch date sa kanya ngayon. He said he missed her and she didn't deny that she missed him too. Apat na araw na ang dumaan mula ng huli silang magkita sa ospital.

He asked about her father and she happily told him everything. Nakangiting nakinig lang si Alden. Deep inside, he was wondering if it's too late to fix his relationship to his father. His mother tried it once but it didn't work out. His father reproached her to stop and she didn't have the courage to go against it. His mother has always been a silent partner of his father because that's how much Mrs. Faulkerson loves him. She said that was her duty as the wife and as a son, he should think for the family and how to protect it.

"I'm grateful that you're doing normal now, Alden," wika ni Maine rito. "That you're not lock in your house anymore."

Sumilay ang dimples nito pagkangiti. "Love greatly helps me..."

"Sus..." she cringed. "Pwede mo namang sabihin na magaling lang talaga ang doktor mo!"

They both laughed at that but soon became quiet when their delicious food set on their table.

"How's work?" tanong nito mayamaya kay Maine.

"Good. A new patient came in yesterday. He's presumably around your age. Namatayan din ng girlfriend."

Alden's face turned sour after hearing it. "Really? A guy..."

"Hindi naman ganoon kalala ang condition niya na tulad mo. He just needed guidance to move on."

Pinahid nito ng napkin ang mga labi bago mariin siyang tinignan. "Talk to your superior after this and ask to pass that guy's case to another doctor."

Natawa siya saglit sa turan nito. "Why should I do that? Nagseselos ka ba?"

"No."

Tumaas agad ang kilay niya. "Then you think I don't have the ability to cure him?"

"No."

"Then I won't listen to you," humalukipkip siya.

"A heartbroken man and a beautiful female psychiatrist should not be lock alone in a room. It's too dangerous," pag-amin nito.

"That is nonsense."

"What if he'll eventually fall for you? Then he'll use his sickness to attract you, gain your sympathy, and win you over?"

"Just like what is happening to us now?" irita niyang saad. "Hoy, Alden, you're hurting my dignity and insulting my professionalism here! I don't fall that easily! Alam ko naman ang kaibahan ng awa sa pagmamahal. I can't fall inlove that easily because it's too risky to my job. Kung alam mo lang kung gaano ko pinipigilan ang sarili na huwag mahulog sayo..."

Alden smiled proudly at himself. "That's why I'm the happiest man in the world when you confessed." Inabot nito ang kamay niya at mahigpit iyong hinawakan. "It will be like heaven to hell if you leave me in the future. That's why I need to prevent that from happening and I'll start from that guy patient of yours. You have no idea how irresistible you are to men like me."

Napangiwi si Maine. "Are you saying that I should only accept female clients from now on?"

"Oh, that's a great idea!"