Chapter 10 Thieves and beggars

“We will reach the horse market in two days,” Milosh said to the men that sat with him. “We will make some good trades before we retreat for the winter.”
Laszlo nodded solemnly. “The foal is ready for the sale. Ramiro has been training it with Ersan’s boy.” He stared at his hands. His mind was preoccupied with other matters. Milena had been like a daughter to him. Of course it was horrible that Carmen’s little girl was gone, but at least they had been able to give her a decent burial.
Milena was just gone.
Milosh nodded at Laszlo’s words. “It will make a fair price.” He looked at the others. “There will be gadje too. Give no cause for trouble. There’s been enough of that.”
Marius narrowed his eyes. “Why should we still trade with them? They hate us, everywhere we go they drive us away. What business do we have with them?”
“Sit down, Marius,” Milosh ordered sternly, “you know why. They provide us with things we can not gather ourselves. We cross their lands. We cannot afford to ignore them. You know this.”
Marius gritted his teeth. He knew his rom baro was right. And not all gadje were bad people. It did not mean he had to like them. 

***

 “Here, let me do that,” Petsha took the knife from Ramiro’s hand and sharpened it. They had to deliver them back to the gadje tonight.
Petsha sighed. His friend had been so quiet. He wished there was something he could do. “Laszlo says the foal is ready for the market.”
Ramiro nodded. “It will bring in some good coin.” He stared across the camp at the young horse. It was the horse that had startled Milena not long ago, when life had still been good. He would be glad to see it go. It would mean one less memory  of her.
He gritted his teeth and tore his eyes away.
Petsha pressed his shoulder in comfort. He placed the whetstone on the ground and gathered the knives and tools. “I will return these to the village. I’ll take Sergei with me.”
Ramiro nodded again. He did not look at his friend.
Petsha let out a soft sigh and stood up. “Ramiro, do not keep yourself isolated. You are my brother. I worry for you.”
“There is no need,” Ramiro said in a harsh tone, “do not concern yourself with me.” He sighed and ran a hand across his face. “I am sorry. I spoke without thinking. Forgive me.”
Petsha smiled. “As I said, you are my brother. I am not so easily offended.”
Ramiro nodded and closed his eyes. “Thank you.”
Petsha inclined his head and went in search of Sergei.
Ramiro took a deep breath and stood up. His friend was right. He should not isolate himself from the others. It did nothing to ease his pain and it would not bring back anyone. His family needed him now.
He squared his shoulders and returned to the camp. 

***

“Many, many years ago, in a sad, far away land, there was an enormous mountain made of rough black stone.
At sunset, on top of that mountain, a magic rose blossomed every night, that made whoever plucked it immortal.
But no one dared go near it because its thorns were full of poison.
Men talked amongst themselves about their fear of death, and pain, but never about the promise of eternal life.
And every day, the rose wilted, unable to bequeath its gift to anyone… forgotten and lost on top of that cold, dark mountain, forever alone, until the end of time.”
Emily closed the book and looked at Milena. “It’s one of my favorite stories. It’s so sad, don’t you think? The people were so blind. They forgot what it was really about. They only saw the outside.”
Milena smiled at the girl sadly. She was a gentle girl with a soft voice. Milena liked her.

The two of them were sitting in the salon, the sun shining through the large window. Milena still wasn’t used to the huge mansion with all its rooms. It confused her. Why would gadje need so many rooms? Not only that, but they all had different names, according to what they were used for.
There was the entrance hall, a reception room, a dining room, a common room, a salon, a study, another study and a kitchen, all on the ground floor.
On the first floor were the bedrooms and bathing rooms. Every member of the family had their own room. Aside from that, there were several guestrooms and side rooms. It made Milena’s head spin.
Then there were the servant quarters, where the servants resided. Though, Milena was told, not all the servants that worked for the family lived at he mansion. Some of them lived in the nearby village, which meant they  had to walk two miles everyday to get to their job and return home.
Milena shivered. Those were the servants that lived with the gadje that had attacked the kumpania.
“Are you cold, Leah?” Emily’s soft voice interrupted her thoughts, “I’ll ask Anna to bring you a shawl.”
Milena shook her head. She looked out of the window longingly. It was such a beautiful day. She longed to venture outside, but Emily had asked to keep her company. She found she couldn’t refuse the girl. She seemed so lonely.
“Good morning,” a deep voice sounded, “how are my lovely ladies today?” Daniel walked into the salon, a pair of leather gloves in one of his hands. He walked over to Emily and kissed her cheek.
Emily smiled at him. “Have you been out riding?”
“Hmm,” Daniel nodded, “the weather is lovely and Thor could use the exercise.” He ruffled his sister’s hair. “What have you two been up to?”
“I’ve been reading to Leah,” Emily answered.
Daniel looked up at Milena. “How are you feeling today? Are your injuries still bothering you?”
Milena cast her eyes down and shook her head. She still felt uncomfortable around him. She felt much better and she was grateful for his help, but she missed her family. She did not want to stay here, with people who misunderstood her, with their rules she had no knowledge of.
“Are you well enough for a  stroll in the garden?” Daniel asked, “the flowers are quite lovely.”
Milena bit her lip. It would be nice to venture outside and feel the wind, but she could not be alone with him. He was a gadje.
She cast him a nervous glance and swallowed. She did not want to insult him. You did not insult your host. Nor your guests.
“Take me too,” Emily pleaded and she gave her brother puppy dog eyes.
Daniel laughed. “I wouldn’t dream of leaving you behind.”
A small smile broke through on Milena’s face. At least he cared for his sister. He could not be a bad man.
“Where is your sister?” Daniel suddenly asked.
“She is visiting the Clarke family with mother. They left just before you arrived.”
“Sharing some good gossip no doubt,” Daniel said amused.
“Shame on you, Daniel,” Emily scolded, but there was a twinkle in her eyes.
Daniel smiled. “You know it’s true.” He winked at her. “Let me change my clothes and we can go to the garden. Or do you wish to have lunch first?”
“Can we have lunch in the pavilion?” Emily had a pleading look in her eyes, “please Daniel?”
“If it’s not too cold for you.”
“I’ll bring shawl. Please?”
He sighed. “We’ll see.” He kissed her hair and inclined his head at Milena. She looked at him confused, not sure why he would show her so much honor.