Chapter 19 The wild at heart

The four girls were sitting in front of the fireplace in the common room.

Amelia and Arabella were bend over their embroidery while Emily was braiding Milena’s hair. “You have such beautiful hair, Leah,” Emily sighed, “mine is so plain.”

“Nonsense, my sweet,” Arabella looked up from her work and smiled at the girl, “your hair is very pretty. Don’t you agree, Leah?” She cast Milena a hesitant smile, still uncertain how to act in her presence.

Milena answered her smile and nodded. She would forgive them for their shallow actions. At least they had not turned their backs on her.
If this had happened to her at home, the men of the kumpania would have gone in search of Jackson. They might even have killed him. She was not sure.

Milena sighed. Would Ramiro have wanted her still?
That prospect seemed far away now.
Her mind wandered towards him. Had he chosen a wife yet?

“Daniel!” Amelia’s voice interrupted her thoughts.

Daniel was standing in the doorway, his leather riding gloves still in one hand and he was looking at Arabella with cold eyes. “What are you doing here, Ara?”

Arabella was not looking at him. “I came to see Leah,” she said in a soft voice.

“You have no right to visit her after what your brother has done to her,” Daniel hissed.

“Daniel!” Amelia said shocked.

“I did not know what he would do,” Arabella told him.

“It is not her fault!” Amelia aided her.

“Hold your tongue, Amelia,” Daniel warned. He turned to Arabella again. ”You are no longer welcome in this house.”

Arabella’s lip trembled, but she stood up quietly.

Both Amelia and Emily stared in disbelieve.

“But Ara is my friend.”

 “And this is my house.” 

“It’s alright, Amelia,” Arabella said quietly, “your brother is right.” She made her way towards the door when Milena stood up and stopped her.
She shook her head at Arabella, but the Caldwell girl smiled at her apologetic. “Thank you, Leah, but I have to respect Daniel’s decision.”

Milena shook her head again and looked at Daniel. Her eyes pleaded with him to reconsider.

Amelia bit her lip as she watched the stand off. Milena’s actions gave her courage and she joined the two women. “Daniel,” she aid calmly, “Ara is not to blame. I left Leah too. And you were otherwise engaged as well. We are all to blame.”

Daniel kept his eyes on Milena. How could a person be so forgiving and kind? Who was he to deny her? If she wanted Arabella to stay, he would accept it.
He sighed. “Very well. Stay then.”

“If you don’t want me here…”

“I shouldn’t have lashed out at you,” Daniel cut her off, “I know it was not your fault.”

“I hope that you can forgive me one day.”

Daniel nodded stiffly. “So do I.”

***

The road ahead was empty and quiet. Daria smiled blissfully as she leaned against Petsha’s shoulder.
He clacked his tongue to speed up the horse and gently took Daria’s hand into his free one. “We will make camp soon,” he said, “Milosh has been saying we will need to stop at the next village. There are things to be sold and supplies to be bought.”

“So soon already?” Daria asked, “do we not have enough? I do not like the thought of visiting another gadje village. Please say you will not go.”

“I will not go,” Petsha answered soothingly, “I have to spend time with my wife after all. Sergei will go. And Kristof. Aranka will join them.”

Daria sighed. “I wish we did not need to have dealings with the gadje.”

“Do not worry,” Petsha told her, “all will be well, but we need supplies before winter sets in.”

Daria nodded. “I know.” She focused on the other wagons in front of her and sighed. She would be glad for the day to end.