Chapter 4

None of them move for a few minutes, trying to gather their thoughts before moving. Frypan eventually stops what he's doing and heads over to the box. Rose stands carefully to follow his lead. Chuck and Thomas follow her and stand side by side. By the time they get to the box, there's already a huge crowd formed. Rose hears Thomas start asking a thousand questions.

"Isn't the box supposed to come up though?" Annoyance is clear in Thomas's voice.

"No. It's not supposed to come up yet. Sh." Rose says a little harsher than she intended. Between the gaps of boys, she can see Newt and Alby at the front, opening the box.

"What's going on?" Chuck whispers.

"I dunno. Just stay back here til I get back, ya?" Rose says and doesn't wait for him to answer before she starts walking through the boys.

In the rush and confusion of everything, her back doesn't seem to bug her much. By the time she reaches the front, the box doors are open and Newt gasps, something that doesn't seem to happen often. Not much to be surprised about in the Glade. Alby gasps when he takes a look at what could be in the box that has Newt surprised. Gally is the next one to send out a gasp, causing everyone to start scooting a little closer and asking questions.

"What is it?" Someone from the back yells.

"Come on, Newt! What's in the box?" Another person yells.

"It's a girl." Newt says as he looks around at the surrounding gasps. "I think she's dead." Newt says from inside the box.

Everyone starts whispering much louder this time as soon as Newt finishes his sentence. Rose is just as surprised as the other Gladers. Another girl? That's kind of crazy. Rose thinks. After a year and half, the Creators have finally sent up another girl. It's confusing the other Gladers just as much as it's confusing Rose. If the Creators wanted more girls, wouldn't they have sent them in intervals, like the guys, not over a year later? Rose says in her head.

She moves out of the way so Newt, Alby, and Gally can get the girl out of the box. She decides to head back to the end of the group with Chuck and Thomas. She was surprised to see them still standing where she left them. Rose expected Thomas to have made his way to the front with all the questions he's been asking.

"Another girl? Haven't you always been the only one?" Chuck asks as soon as Rose gets in hearing distance.

"Yeah, man. I dunno what's going on. Newt thinks she's dead?" Rose says as if to question Newt's words. Newt isn't stupid but he's no Med-Jack.

"Wait. So you're the only girl? There's never been another girl? And now these, Creators, are sending up a dead girl?" Thomas starts throwing questions without taking a breath between them or letting Rose answer them.

"Slim it, shank. One question at a time, ya? Pretty sure I just answer that. I doubt she's dead. Newt's probably just overreacting, a little in shock. She's probably sleeping." Rose's tone changes to annoyance when she answers Thomas. Frypan wasn't kidding when he said Greenie only asks questions. Rose thought to herself. Rose, Chuck, and Thomas head over to where Newt, Alby, and Gally laid the girl down. Jeff and Clint were already checking the girl's vitals. Neither of them seemed too concerned which meant the girl wasn't dead. Rose overheard Jeff say that he thinks she's in a coma. No one has ever come out of the box in a coma, no one has ever even come up sleeping before so the news Jeff relays causes uproar of more question. The questions come to a halt when the girl shoots up and yells that things are about to change. The Gladers stay completely silent for a few seconds, taking in the random outburst, then, more questions start to surface. Rose had her own questions that were running through her head but she knew better than to go off and ask them. She knows there's no point in asking when everyone else is yelling over each other. Alby wouldn't tell them anything anyway.