Chapter 17

A few hours passed before the Gladers were awakened but the familiar sound of the clanking metal. They huddled together, just as they had done every other night.It was becoming normal, no one was freaking out. Everyone seemed to remain calm, everyone knowing their odds of being taken, were slim. Rose knew the whole thing was sick and twisted. Everyone being so calm, hoping it would be one of their friends instead of them. Gladers hoping for the death of a friend just so they can live to see another day. It was wrong. The Creators were sick and twisted. Everything was.

Newt squeezed Rose's hand, snapping her out of her thoughts. She squeezed Chuck's hand to let the small boy know she was there for him. He looked at her and gave a fake smile, but terror was evident in his eyes. The silence of the Homestead was short lived as the sound of breaking wood filled the room followed by a horrendous scream. Rose closed her eyes, sadness consuming her, knowing someone had just met their deadly fate.

As quick as the Grievers came, they were gone, leaving the Glade completely quiet. The Gladers were soon able to fall back asleep, none of them being awakened until the morning. Newt was the first one awake, followed by Rose. They walk around the Homestead and wake up the sleeping Gladers, none of which seemed to be too happy. Once everyone was awake, Newt instructed everyone to get to their jobs just as they normally would.

Rose and Newt went to the Weapons Room to continue their search.

"We might as well make sure the bloody words repeat, just until breakfast, ya?" Newt asked as he faced the table, filled with maps.

"Yeah. Nothing else to do until then right?"

"Right." Newt said handing her the first stack of maps. She aligned them and put them next to the ones Teresa had laid out the night before.

"How's your eye doing today? It doesn't look any better." Newt said, passing more maps.

"Still can't see." Rose answered with a chuckle, hoping to the lighten the mood. They were tired. Tired of everything and it was showing.

"Of course not." Newt laughed.

A few minutes passed with Newt trying to make small talk but Rose wasn't in the talking mood. The nightly loss of her friends was talking a tole on her. Even if she didn't talk to them much, they were still like a family to her. They were all she could remember and all she's had.

"Rosie?" Newt asked, handing her more maps.

"Hmm?" Rose hummed.

"What's wrong?" Newt waited for her to line the maps and put them in place before handing her another stack.

"You think we're gonna get out of here? Before the bloody Grievers get us?" Rose asked, almost unsure if she should bother.

Newt shook his head as he looked at the ground and put the maps back on the table. "Look here," Newt said as he put his hands on her shoulders. "We're gonna get outa here. I promise. We'll make it out of this bloody place, alive. We'll get out and be happy out of this shuck place, do you hear me, Rosie?" Newt gave Rose the smallest smile she's ever received but it warmed her heart a bit.

"Okay." Rose forced a smile.

"I love you and I'm gonna get you out of here."

"Thanks, Newt."

"Don't thank me, just bloody kiss me." Newt smirks.

"Hhhhmmm I dunno." Rose teased causing the boy to bite his lip, but Rose didn't wait long before she moved on her tip toes and pressed her lips against his. Newt didn't waste any time wrapping his arms tightly around her, pulling her as close to him as possible. Their mouths moving quickly, completely in sync. Almost glued together, besides the small, half breaths they would take every now and then. Newt picks Rose up and puts her on a clear spot of the table. His hands cup her face as she grabs his neck, minding the scrap he still had. Rose's heart beat so fast she could have sworn it was going to beat out her chest.