em ste soncha

She'd been sleeping a lot and the days passed by. Lincoln had wanted her to join him when he left for hunting, but the thought of seeing someone die frightened her to the point where she could barely function. "You'll be fine," he'd assured her and held her hand while she was falling asleep.

She knew that her father wouldn't search for her and she knew that she didn't want to be found by him either. 

"taim gona nou return em ste nou kom osir," he'd let her know that at a young age.

[if a warrior does not return, he is not from us.]

Her father had always managed to show her the grounder way of life, but he'd never considered how much he'd scared his daughter and how much faith and kindness she posessed. Not even her mother fathomed the danger of having a scared child. 

"She has sheidgeda jus running through her veins, but is far from worthy of being heda," he'd told the commander's guards when they'd wanted to pick her up for training. They hadn't believed her father and had taken her to Polis to train among the other nightbloods, but heda knew Valika's father and she sent the young girl back to her village after seeing her refusing to fight or kill anyone, or anything. 

[night blood]

When heda died, Valika's father had tried to train his daughter harder so she could have a chance of becoming heda, but the commander's spirit had chosen wisely and hadn't elected her. How much her father had wanted his daughter to become commander. He'd always imagined the power to be the most fullfilling thing life could offer.

And now here Valika was. Having abandoned and disappointed her own family and her own people there wasn't much of a chance that she could survive very long. Lincoln would protect her, but even he would have to admit to himself that she was nothing more than a burden at some point. 

Heavy footsteps interrupted her dreams and she leapt up grabbing a sword to protect herself. Lincoln stepped into the cave, but he wasn't alone. He was carrying a girl with long, brown hair. She definitely wasn't trikru. Her clothes looked fairly clean and foreign to Valika. She swallowed thickly. What had her friend done? 

Lincoln set the girl on the soft ground and tied her to the stone wall. He didn't dare speak a word. If she was to start accusing him and screaming at him, he would take it. He lay her head on the ground and started to clean her wounds. To his surprise, Valika sat down on the opposite side of the skygirl's body and examined the wound. 

They didn't talk because there were no words needed. As soon as the wound was patched up, Valika got up to leave the cave. "I'm going for a walk."

"I will go hunting soon too. Be careful not to be spotted," he nodded and she looked at the ground.

She then decided to go back to Lincoln and embraced him tightly.

"Your mother would be proud, Lincoln," she whispered, smiling. 

"Stay safe," he just responded and gave her hand a squeeze.

-

She came running when she heard the screams as she'd walked towards Lincoln's cave. She came to a halt seeing young people about her age exit the cave carrying two bodies. One of them was Lincoln she realized. Curses escaped her mouth and she quickly hid behind a bush. 

Suddenly, the girl felt quite helpless and useless. If Lincoln had only befriended a strong warrior girl that could free him now. Instead, he'd lived with a coward. She pressed her lips into a thin line and saw her best friend passed out being carried away to the skypeople's camp. 

As soon as they were out of sight Valika ran into the cave and grabbed a spear. She couldn't just let them take her best friend. She couldn't let that happen for love would always have greater power than fear. 

"Ai laik yuj," she repeated to herself as she left the cave.

[I am strong]

A/N

please, god, let the grammar of this be acceptable... it's 12 am and I'm so effing tired, but I wanted to finish this.

so pls forgive me all my grammar sins.

also: yes that was a major time skip since lincoln cauterizes octavias wound and she leaves the cave inbetween the - and all that jazz, but i didn't want to force Valika into the plot line so i left that part out. 

+ i didn't describe how valika saw bellamy cause right now she hates them all equally and nothing about bellamy's handsome face could've changed that lol