Chapter 4 ✅

After meeting Choji life went by fairly quick. Shika and I would meet up with him everyday we could, well I would meet up with then everyday I could. The only thing that got in the way was my chakra sensitivity, I would visit the hospital once every week, but just with some other Doctor, Lady Tsunade left the village again to travel. Some days also are worse than others, the pain I mean, so I can't meet up with Choji on those days.

A few weeks before we turned 5 was when things really got complicated.

I was walking from my room to the kitchen because it's about time for dinner and I've always loved watching Mom cook. She has a type of grace that you can only obtain if you've done something for a long time.

Sitting down silently on a chair, Mom noticed my presence and said, "We've got to get up early tomorrow morning to register both you and your brother to school. We'll get Shikamaru's done first at the academy, then head down to your school to get you registered." She said all in a breeze, like it was no big deal when it was.

It took me a second to register what she was saying, 'I'm not going to the academy?' I thought with disbelief. Mouth opened slightly I question, "Mommy? What do you mean? I'm not going to the academy with Shika?"

Mom stopped what she was doing, turned around, looked me straight in the eyes with a serious expression. She said, "No Tomoko, your a big girl, you don't always need to be with your brother all the time. Also you can't go to the academy, you know why, you can't use chakra." In her last statement you could hear a sad tone to it.

Everything she said was true, except for the part where I can't use chakra. I can use it, it just hurts a lot, and the reason why I'm always with Shika is because he's my life line, the thing that keeps me from locking myself in my room forever. I know for a fact that if it came to it, Shika would save me from any danger. I trust him with my life, I tell him everything, except for you know for the whole reincarnation thing.

After her statement, I just kept quiet, not wanting to say something I regret.

Once dinner was over, Shika and I were put to bed early. Me being who I was, snuck out of my room, into Shika's when our parents were sleeping. I poked Shika, announcing my presence. He didn't open his eyes, all he did was roll over, making room for me and there is where I fell asleep peacefully next to my brother.

Early morning came, and just as Mom said she took us to get registered for school next week. Of course, we were a half hour behind when Mom wanted to leave, Shika and I didn't want to get up so Mom literally picked us up off the bed by the scruff of our shirts and threw first me into the bathroom then Shika, once I was done.

Out of the house Shika and I were jogging to keep up with Mom who was yelling at us for making us late. Once at the academy, Mom filled out forms with Shika, while I was standing off to the side with a sad expression on my face.

Finally done and told there will be orientation tomorrow to see what class he's in and who's his classmates are for the rest of his time in the academy, we start to head out to the civilian school, when we run into Choji and his Mom who've meet several times already.

"Shikamaru, Tomoko! You guys going to the academy too?" Choji yells out, getting my brothers and my attention.

But at what he said I give him a sad smile and say, "Shika is, I-I'm not." Even though we've known each other for almost a year, I still stutter around him, but just a little.

Choji looked shocked but his mother just gave me a sad smile. "Why not?" Choji exclaimed, "If Shikamaru's going then why aren't you?"

I was about to tell him he already knows when Shika beat me to it, "Choji, you already know about her chakra sensitivity, it effects her health," Shika said then adding after a sigh, "What a drag."

"O-oh yeah..." Choji then looked at me, giving me a sad, almost pitying smile.

I hated it. Resented those types of smiles. I'm normally mad at the person who gives me those smiles, but this is Choji we're talking about, you just can't be mad at him.

Breaking eye contact with Choji I just looked at the ground, trying not to tear up, but failed miserably. To others it may look like I'm sad just because I'm not with Shika or that I'm sad about my disability, but those are only part of the reason. I'm also sad because I can't save anyone, I can't be a ninja doing ninja stuff, I can't change the future.

While our mothers were talking, Shika held my hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. Even though that gesture what small, it said a thousand words which meant everything. That gesture showed that Shika will always be there for me, he'll help me in any way possible.

Once at the civilian school, registering was the same process as it was at the academy. I was so reluctant to go through with this, but it was for the best I suppose.

After handing in the registration sheet, we were told I was to show up to school at 8am. The first day of school would be September 1st, it was now August 25th, exactly 1 week from now.

Stepping through the doors of our house, I quickly place my shoes in their correct spot and silently run up to my room, throwing myself onto my bed.

I was ready for this year to already be over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Alright, chapter done, yay!!!

I'm in need of some help here. If anyone has any suggestions for the name of the  civilian school Tomoko will be attending, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also just so everyone knows, the civilian school is categorized K-12. The whole school is the only civilian school, no high school or middle school. And there is only one teacher per class, like in the academy Iruka

Thanks for reading!!

Ja'ne!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit

Some grammatical mistakes were corrected, but nothing else.