Chapter 1: The girl in black

I blinked once. Twice.

'Where the fuck am I?'

I looked around, realizing all eyes in the room were either watching me or rolled back into their owners' head. Well, except for that one guy in the back eating something that looked suspiciously like a fork. I looked down at myself. I was wearing a dusty coat-like black cloak that went down to my feet. It had long sleeves and a hood, but only four latches (one on my neck, three on my breasts) to hold it shut, the rest of the coat staying closed thanks to gravity. Nothing on it had color or shined. I turned to the closest conscious body, a young white-haired girl who appeared to be a waitress. Seeing as I wasn't exactly sure of the situation, I decided to opt for a more polite dialect. "Sorry to be a bother, could you tell me where I am?"

Her stance eased a bit when I spoke, and she replied with a friendly smile. "You're in Magnolia, in the Fairy Tail guild to be exact." I furrowed my brow.

'Fairy Tail… Why does that seem so familiar?'

I could vaguely remember a rough male voice saying something about that particular guild, but the words blended into one another and I couldn't make heads or… well... Fairy Tails of it. I mentally kicked myself for the horribly lame pun, and focused on the voice. I sounded familiar, and I instantly felt tightness in my chest that had nothing to do with injury.

'Were we close? More importantly, did something happen?'

I was pulled from my thoughts when the girl extended her hand towards me. Most of the onlookers had gone back to their original positions, but a few still watched the two of us. "I'm Mirajane Strauss, and you?"

I shook her hand and gave a small smile. "Nice to meet you, I'm… I'm not sure…"

She gave a small, disbelieving laugh, a confused look coming over her features. "What do you meant you're not sure? What's your name?" I frowned, dropping her hand to smooth back wayward hairs that had fallen into my face. "I don't know… I can't remember a goddamn thing…"

Mirajane sighed and grabbed my wrist, causing me to flinch. I mentally shook it off and looked at the girl "Hm? Is something wrong?"

She gave another small chuckle, smiling gently. "Other than your apparent amnesia, nothing. I just though we'd sit somewhere while we try to figure out exactly how much of your memory you're missing."

I nodded and let her lead me to the bar, where a blonde was already sitting. We both grabbed a stool and sat on opposite sides, Mirajane drawing a notepad out of her hip pouch. "Okay, so what's the last thing you remember?"
I absentmindedly chewed on my lower lip, trying to think back past 5 minutes earlier. "I really don't have any memory of before asking you where I am… but I do vaguely remember a rough male voice… I think he told me of Fairy Tail… Other than habits and reflexes, I'm basically a blank slate."

I sighed. Mirajane nodded, then put her notepad away and stood up. "Well you did seem in a daze when you walked in. That was quicker than I expected, I'll go get Cana and we'll see if she can help."

She turned to the blond girl "Lucy? Keep her entertained and away from Natsu, will you? I don't need him destroying a newcomer again."

Both girls laughed and Mirajane left in search of Cana. The blond turned towards me. "Hey, I'm Lucy. I'm supposed to entertain you, so do you want to see my keys?"

I frowned a bit. "Keys?"

She smiled, her chocolate brown eyes crinkling, and nodded, before pulling a ring of keys from her waist. "Yep. I'm a celestial spirit mage. I use these to summon them."

She named all of her keys and gave me a basic understanding of what each of them did while we waited. She was describing what contracts consisted of, when Mirajane came back with a grumpy-looking brunette walking behind her. "Sorry to keep you waiting, I had trouble pulling Cana from her drink."