Chapter 4 : First Mission

I stirred.

'There's something heavy on my shoulder...'

I cracked open my eye and looked at the weight.

'Oh, it's just Lucy. ... Why's Lucy sleeping on me?'

I opened my eyes all the way, looking around the room. The TV was still on, but the movie had long since ended.

'Oh yeah... We were bored to sleep by bitchy teenagers... Gross, I have popcorny morning breath.'

I slid out from under Lucy, setting her gently on the floor, and turned off the television. Then I went into the bathroom, groaning as I spotted my reflection in the mirror.

'Okay, bath time. I don't care if it wakes the whole town up, I cannot do anything in public like this.'

I filled the bathtub and stripped, folding my clothes and setting them on the counter. All the gauze previously wrapped around me found a new home in the garbage. I lowered myself in slowly, hissing when the steaming water touched the larger wounds. I undid my ponytail and massaged my scalp; the dark tangled strands falling around me like a curtain. I tilted my head back, soaking my hair. Several minutes later, as I was rinsing the soap out, Lucy poked her head in. "Hey, there. I washed your clothes as promised; thought you might want them."

I nodded, wiping at the water running down my face. "Yeah, thanks. Would you trade a toothbrush for breakfast?"

She pushed the door open and put the black bundle on the counter, and then picked up the clothes I had set down earlier. "Mhm. There are new ones in the cupboard, right next to the medical supplies." She pointed to said cupboard and stepped out, closing the door behind her. I sighed and finished rinsing before getting out of the tub. I carefully dried myself off and went to work on wrapping all my wounds. To my surprise, I found most of the burns and cuts had disappeared. Even the claw marks and gored thigh were significantly better, and my ribs didn't require attention. The bottom of my feet were still red and hard, but I could feel the rough shapes of the floor tiles.

'Wow... Magic water.'

I got dressed and put the medical supplies back, spare a large roll of gauze, cotton balls, and a vial of rubbing alcohol. I put them in my cloak pocket, which was near my side as to be hidden. I took out a toothbrush and went to hunt for toothpaste. Once I was all minty fresh, I brushed my hair and pulled it back into a high ponytail, leaving a strand over my iris again. I slung my cloak over my shoulder and stepped out. "Hey Lucy, I'm done. I drained the water; I didn't think you'd want to bathe in ointment."

She nodded, looking up from her book. "Yeah, thanks. You're not wrapping your arms and legs?"

I grinned and shook my head, ponytail swinging. "Nope. I don't need it. Most of my burns and cuts are gone, my ribs are all good, and everything else is doing better. You have magic bath water, I swear."

She chuckled and stood up. "No magic in my bathroom, that was all you. Come to think of it, you almost heal as fast as Natsu. Just what are you?"

I laughed and moved out of her way. "Whoever finds out tells the other."

She laughed back and waved me toward her room. "There are books and movies in there, entertain yourself however you want. I'll be out in about an hour."

I nodded and she disappeared behind the door. I looked around the room, my eyes stopping on a calendar pinned to the wall.

'Huh. Saturday, June 14th. That's funny; losing your memory on Friday the 13th.'

I went to start on breakfast directly, planning on cooking something up. I cut fruits and set them in a bowl, made French toast (thank you cookbook from under the table), and was in the process of scrambling eggs when Lucy came out of the bathroom. "Whoa, there's and actual breakfast on the table. I never have time to do more than cereal or boring buttered toast."