Chapter 2: Dr. Lucy

I was led into a back room by Lucy, my doctor for the day, and told to sit on the cot in the corner. While she hung my cloak in the back of the room, she told me to remove all bandages and as much clothing as I was comfortable with while she got the equipment. I undid the bands on my arms, revealing healing cuts and more burns. Pulling off my boots then the gauze covering my entire leg below the knee, I noticed they were exactly like my arms: bruised, burnt, and cut. My feet were wrapped in leather and cloth, which seemed to be replacing socks, and gauze underneath that. Beneath the bandages, the soles of my feet were an angry red and rock hard. I pulled my top over my head, gritting my teeth as the movement stretched the stitches, and inspected the dull pain and tightness of breath I'd been having. There were no cuts, but bruising indicated broken ribs. I pulled it back down, eyeing my thigh. I pulled the edge of the bandage, wincing when it pulled at the skin underneath it. I slowly unwrapped it, scrunching my nose at the mess of jagged flesh. It looked like a wild something had dung its teeth in and thrown me around for a while. I looked up when I heard Lucy gasp. She was in the doorway that led to a storage room, holding a cardboard box that seemed to be overflowing with medical supplies. She immediately put the box down on the table next to the cot and went to work on my thigh, her gloved fingers probing the mess. She grabbed a disinfecting wipe, tearing open the packet. As soon as the alcohol touched the torn wound, I bucked forward and let out a long stream of foul words, cursing in different languages when I ran out. Lucy, cringing at my outburst, quickly applied antiseptic and re-wrapped it in fresh gauze. I gave a shaky laugh and apologized for swearing so profusely. She shook her head and moved on to my lower legs. The blonde cleaned the cuts and applied burn cream, re-wrapping them as well. She then applied the same cream to my feet and re-wrapped them tightly. Frowning, she stood up and treated my arms. "What happened? Did you crawl through a volcano or something?"

I chuckled at the thought. "Possibly... Or maybe I fought a fire-breathing tiger, which would explain the claw marks. Well, at least now I remember I know how to swear in seven languages."

Lucy smiled in response and sighed. "Yeah... Speaking of which, lay back and put something in your mouth so you don't bite your tongue. I have to take care of your stomach and we're out of anything to dull the pain besides ice cubes."

I nodded and leaned back, shoving the cot's covers into my mouth. Lucy grabbed a new pair of gloves, tweezers, and a small pair of scissors. "All right, I'm starting, try not to move too much."

She gently cut and picked at the makeshift thread, carefully undoing the stitches. I felt her reach for something and gently squeeze my knee.

'Fuck.'

I bit down and dug my nails in the mattress, unaware of the shadows circling and growing around me, my back arching as white bolts of pain raced in all directions from my middle and bounced around. Lucy quickly finished and moved on to the stitches, the lesser pain registering in the back of my brain. She straightened, sighing. "Sorry about that... Anything else?"

I sat up, groaning at the movement. "Yeah, my ribs. I think I broke a few."

I lifted my shirt, exposing the bruises. She pursed her lips and ran her fingers over my ribs. "They seem to be set correctly, so you should be fine with just wrapping them tightly."

She handed me a length of gauze and went back into the storage room. Doing as she asked, I wrapped the cloth around my chest as tightly as possible. It was uncomfortable, but breathing came easier. Lucy came back and handed me grey skinny jeans and a loose blue shirt. I frowned, confused, but took them anyways. Lucy noticed my expression and smiled. "Wrapping your ribs compresses your chest. If you were to wear your current top, it would probably fall. Besides, no offense, but your clothes are a bit dirty."