What are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit of God uses his will to give each person Spiritual Gifts. These Gifts lead to manifestations of the Holy Spirit, which can be seen and experienced by all. The primary purpose of the gifts is to unite and grow the Church. There are around 21 gifts listed in the New Testament alone. There are other gifts of the Holy Spirit not covered in the following sections, these sections should only serve as a template to help you get a basic understanding of how the gifts work.

Shown in this list below are some of the Gifts that the Apostle Paul speaks of in his letters to the different Churches, observe how he speaks of offices as gifts in his letter to the Ephesians.

Romans
Ch 12:1-8

*prophecy
*Ministry
*Teaching
*Exhortation
*Giving
*Governing
*Showing Mercy

Corinthians
Ch 12:1-11

*Gift of tounges
*Interpretation of Tounges
*Word of Knowledge
*Word of Wisdom
*Discernment of Spirits
*Faith
*Miracles
*Gifts of Healing

Ephesians
Ch 4:11

*Apostles
*Prophets
*Evangelists
*Pastors
*Teachers

The word to note here is the "gift". It means it is freely given by the grace of God, not because you deserve it or because you did something to earn it. Also God gives each believer more than one gift. God does not take back gifts once he gives them to you, they are with you till the end.

To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit ...- 1 Corinthians 12

Another way of looking at how these gifts operate is through manifestations, every saved believer can manifest in all of these gifts at some point of time. A few of them however are given to them as a mantle or office that they can exercise more fluently than the others.

Points to Remember:

*Nobody gets all the gifts, its one of God's ways to keep us connected and dependent on each other.
*Every believer gets more than one gift to operate fluently or as an "office", these gifts are never taken back.
*The Holy Spirit can however manifest any of the other gifts through a believer in specific situations for some time.
*Some get the Gifts of Healing, when they pray, people get healed with a very high frequency.
*Others get Prophecy where they are able to speak destiny into the lives of others and what they speak comes true....

But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.- 1 Corinthians 12

Keep in mind each and every one will most certainly get spiritual gifts. We are entitled to them by God. It is your duty to find out what your gift is and use it for the benefit of others. The more you use your gifts the better you get at them.
All of us are advised to pray for and cherish Spiritual Gifts. The churches also are advised to pray specially for Interpretation of Tongues and Prophecy as they can greatly grow the church.
It is these manifestations of the Holy Spirit along with the Living Word of God (The Bible) that make us what we are in Christ. We have been blessed with power through the gifts of Holy Spirit.

LIFE APPLICATION

*Understand the meaning and purpose of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
*Exercising these gifts is a powerful way of demonstrating the supernatural to people and will greatly help in bringing people to God.