Word or Message of Knowledge

This is a powerful gift that helps when you are praying for or ministering to an individual. As you begin to operate in this gift, the Holy Spirit gives you supernatural knowledge about a person or situation. This knowledge may come in the form of a single word like "Lonely" or "Adultery" or "Cancer" or as a vision or a voice depending on how you and God communicate, this revelation gives you hints on the areas of life that the person needs help in. Knowledge also may come in the form of an impression or a mind picture showing you something, like a person crying in front of a coffin. This mental picture often gives you a lot more information than what a word can give.
This gift does NOT mean that you have supernatural knowledge all the time about everything. It also does not entitle you to demand information from God. You only receive bits of information from time to time, on specific situations or people. You need to be mature enough to handle this information.
It is important that you exercise discretion when revealing this knowledge in front of others. The sole purpose of these gifts is to grow and comfort the listener and not wash their dirty linen in public.
The Holy Spirit at times uses stories in the Bible to show us what a person is going through. An example is when praying for someone, the Holy Spirit may put in your heart the story of the disciples on the road to Emmaus. You then know that this person who was a strong believer has now lost their faith and is moving away from God.
A message of knowledge is subtle, supernatural and can sometimes hard to identify. It may look as though your mind is making it up. The key to effectively using this gift is to lead a Godly life, live on the principles contained in the Bible. That way even if your mind makes it up, it still is based on scripture. This gifting becomes stronger with use and as you grow as a Christian and get closer to God.

REAL LIFE INSPIRATION

Once during a healing service a man came forward to be healed. His hands had withered and there was no strength in them anymore. He could not even perform actions like clasping or stretching with his arms, he was in anguish. The preacher did not know this man or know anything about him, he was filled with compassion when he saw the condition of this man and started praying for him.
God gave this preacher divine knowledge and showed him how this man had murdered many people in the past and that the judgement of God was on him. The preacher was shocked and told this man about what God showed him. He asked the man to repent with all his heart and renounce his evil ways and turn back to God. The preacher said to the man that God was even after all he had done, willing to heal him if he would sincerely repent. Many people in the audience who knew about the criminal past of this man were surprised when the preacher who was a total stranger, knew so much about him.

LIFE APPLICATION

*A word of knowledge can give you information that is humanly impossible to know.
*Use the knowledge you receive carefully pray for wisdom if you are not sure on how to use the knowledge.
*You cannot demand specific information, it is God's sovereign decision on what you receive.