Chapter 2

After the breakfast rush, I had to clean rooms. I didn't really like this job very much. Cleaning other people's personal stuff wasn't the greatest thing in the world, especially when the patrons get mad at you for cleaning up their "space." Whatever that is, it sure looks like a mess to me.

     I sighed and folded some blankets. I fluffed the pillows and straightened the sheet. It was hard work, but soon, I was done.

     I grabbed the dirty laundry and headed down into the basement. I loaded up the washer and climbed back up the stairs. I met my mom on the way.

     "Oh, Shanna!" My mom exclaimed, "Are you still working? The others are here now so you can take a break."

     I looked at her and replied, kindly. "Thank you, but, are you sure? I can still help."

     "Nope! You run along now, and play!"

     "Um, okay, if you really want me to, I will." I smiled at her, a little confused. I never get breaks this early in the morning, but I guess I won't complain.

     My mom smiled at me and said, "Good, now remember, we have some new people coming today!"

     "Yeah! ok, I'll remember!" I ran up the stairs and out the door. This was one of the first times I had a free time in the morning. It was about 10:00 a.m. and I was free!!!!! It's not that I don't like working at the inn. I just need some time to be me, not a maid or waitress, just me, and I never get that. I am still wondering why my mom would let me take a break, but I'm happy she did.

      I walked down the long, winding, gravel road to the the street. Our driveway was bordered with a big forest on either sides. Sometimes, it was beautiful, and sometimes it creeped me out. When I was little, I would wonder what kind of monsters hid in there. My dad would tell me that he'd protect me from every monster and that I didn't have to be scared. I did believe him, but now I'm not quite sure. Once he left, though it was childish, I started to get frightened of the monsters. The strange shadows, the creaking sounds, and the weird noises. They were no longer a thing that I imagined, they were a reminder that I didn't have my knight, my protector. That meant I was fair game to the evil that lie waiting in this forest.

     Today, though, I was not afraid. I felt oddly at peace. Maybe it was the fact that I was getting over it, since I am almost 16... well, my birthday is in October, so maybe not... or maybe I was just having a good day. Whatever it was, it was greatly appreciated. I saw the beautiful in the forest today, not the shadow and creepy stuff. I am not saying that I am usually a scared person. I'm not jumpy, nervous, or insecure. I would actually consider myself a fairly brave person. I really like scary stuff. I watch horror movies and read scary books, but I am afraid of something. It's just that forest that I am afraid of. I sense something forbidding in it. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a freak who believes in ghosts, werewolves, and vampires! That would be weird. I'm just saying that there is something out there in those woods that isn't a friend. You can think I'm crazy and walk away now, but don't say I didn't warn you. Ignore me all you want, but there is something strange going on in there.

~~~~~~~~~~

     "Hello! Welcome to The Old Inn! I'm Mrs. BlackStone and This is my daughter, Shanna BlackStone. She will show you to your rooms. Here are your keys!" my mom said, handing over 6 sets of keys to the people standing there. She had a huge grin on her face and a overly cheery voice. They must be from out of town, because she was being extra friendly with them. When I say "them" I mean six people, five male and one female. The girl had long, red hair that hung just below her mid-back. The way it was cut made her hair look like it was on fire or maybe WAS fire. She was wearing a pair of red skinny jeans and a black T-shirt that said BURN in red letters. She had coal-black eyes and white skin. It was strange. They all had coal-black eyes and white skin. I couldn't believe it. Their skin was even lighter than mine!

     The boy in the front with the black hair, though he looked like he was only 17, stepped forward and grabbed the keys from my mother. He seemed to have an air of respect around him, like he was the leader. He gave the keys to his friends and looked at me with his blazing, dark black eyes. He was waiting for me to show him the way to their rooms, I realized with a start.

     "Oh! Um, your rooms are this way," I stuttered. I felt frozen to the ground as his eyes stared at me, unblinking. I forced myself to move forward into the Inn, but all wanted to do was stay there, staring back at him like an idiot. I forced myself to open the door and brought them up the stairs and down the hall, pointing them to their rooms as we passed. Soon, it was only the black haired guy left. His room was the last door on the left.

     I stopped at it and said to him, "Here is your room." I was avoiding his eyes, in fear of getting frozen again. It wasn't a literal term, but my mind felt blank and my legs wouldn't work right. It felt like he had total control over me when he stared at me.

     "Thanks." he said, eyeing me with a weird expression. I made my eyes dart around, looking anywhere but his face. He glanced at me one more time, and I studied the old clock on the walk very intently. Finally, he sighed and walked into his room.