Chapter 7

We walked through the woods at a fast pace, not talking. I was the one who was going fast, since I didn't want to do this. He didn't seem to mind and just matched my pace. I, oddly enough, didn't feel that scared. That was, until I saw the barn.

     We were walking down the path when Alex slowed and turned off into the woods. I realized we were here. I watched as he walked off the path, and disappeared into the ferns. I glared after him and stopped. I really didn't stay off the path, but I had no choice. I sucked in a big breath and stepped off the path.

     The forest wasn't too bad, but a sense of dread had fallen over me. I shivered. Where was I going... And where was Alex? I walked farther into the dark woods. I wasn't even sure I was going the right way. I couldn't hear or find any traces of him. I sigh and took another step forward. This was really annoying and I wanted to leave. I tried to turn around, but I tripped on a root. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the impact of hard earth, rocks, and thorns. It never came. Instead, I felt cold hands on me. I opened my eyes. It was Alex. He had caught me. I blushed a deep red and stood up. "Thanks..." I said quietly.

     He nodded and kept going. I followed and hoped we were almost there... Where had he been anyway? And... why was his hands so cold?

     I looked up and saw that we had stopped. We were now standing in a big clearing. In the middle of the spot was a small barn. It was about the size of a pig barn. It wasn't very tall, but it was tall enough to fit a horse. It was stone and looked warm; It would definitely keep the animals safe. I realized that it would be an amazing place to keep animals. Then I remembered where we were and a shiver went up my spine.

     "Um, so this is the place?" I asked hesitantly. I knew it was, but I was hoping that I was wrong.

     Alex looked at me and replied, "Yes. Would you like to see the inside? I can show you if you want, or you can go by yourself."

     I stared at the barn for a long time and then told him I would go in by myself. I didn't like the way he was always there and wanted to see the barn by myself. I quickly walked to the door and disappeared inside. It was pretty dark so I tried to find the lightswitch, but, of course, It didn't work. I groaned and walked back to the door to asked Alex if he had a flashlight, when I heard voices coming from outside. I peeked out and looked to see who they belonged to.

     Outside, I found Alex talking to a another guy, about his age. The boy had white or, well, platinum blonde hair, pale skin, and ... black eyes? Oh, it must be one of Alex's friends that are staying at the Inn. There was also two girls there, but I couldn't make them out. They were a little ways away from Alex and his white haired friend.

     I narrowed my eyes. How and why are his friends here (for I was certain that the two girls knew him)? I watched as the white haired kid wave the girls over. They stopped talking and one of the girls walked over to the boys. She had long, red hair Oh. It was one of Alex's friends. It was the girl that had the fire-hair.

     The other girl stayed where she was. I still had no clue who that was, but her movements were oddly familiar, as was her dirty blonde hair. The white haired guy yelled something to her, but she shook her head and pointed my way. Instantly they all looked towards me. I pulled my head in and slammed the door shut. Leaning against the door, I hoped they didn't see me.

     It was so quiet, but I didn't dare look outside. They were probably out there, waiting to kill me, since I saw them. Wait... Why am I so afraid of them? All they were doing was talking. I mean, I didn't even over hear what they said! I was just panicking.

     I sigh and slowly pulled open the barn door and waited... and waited. Nothing attacked me. I stuck my head out and looked around. Alex was leaning against a tree on the far side of the clearing.

     "Are you coming?" He called. I nodded and walked towards him, looking around for his friends. I couldn't find them anywhere. As I neared him, he started to walk back into the overgrown forest. I ran up to him and stopped him with a tap on the back.

     "What is it?" He hissed, whipping around. He had a scary look on his face and his eyes blazed with anger. I stumbled back. His eyes softened and he caught my raised arm. "Sorry, I...I'm sorry. What were you going to say?"

     I back up a bit and push his hand away. I was still terrified of him. I had never seen him so...angry. Maybe he didn't like to be touched. I blinked and decided to ask him, "Who... Who were they and why were they here?" I knew that I just blew my cover, but I had to know, plus there was a possibility that he already knew that I had seen them.

     "They?" He asked, deciding to play dumb. "Who do you mean by...they?" He looked at me, his stony expression revealed nothing.

     I gave a slightly annoyed sighed and snapped, "Don't play dumb with me, mister! I saw your little friends and I know something is up. There is something that you and a lot of other people are hiding from me and I am determined to find out what it is! So just tell me why they were here and what everyone is hiding from me!" I hadn't realized I had started to shout. I stopped and glared at him, hoping he'd tell me the truth. I wasn't lying. I really was fed up with all the secrets and lies. And...I missed my best friend. Why would she keep a secret from me? I...I justed wanted the truth.

     He looked at me, shocked. Then he recovered and the dark, stony look on his face returned. "The truth?" He scoffed, "You want to know the truth? Ha, I doubt you even understand what the whole truth entails. It was shock-no-ruin you tiny little, puny, human heart. Some say that the truth will set you free, but they are dead wrong. The truth will break you. It will destroy and ruin everything. If you knew even a quarter of the truth, you would be scarred for life. So come to me and say you want to know the truth. I will never tell you, not until you are ready to handle it."

     I yelled back at him, "MY TINY, LITTLE, PUNY, HUMAN, HEART!?!?!? What do you mean by my tiny little puny human heart?! You have the same, tiny little human heart or are you implying that you are not even human?" I glared at him. Was that what he was saying, that he wasn't human?

     Alex opened his mouth to reply, but then thought better of it. He gave me one last glare and stalked off into the woods. I glared back and ran after him. He might be annoying, but I wasn't ready to be left alone in the woods.