Chapter 6

I was running, scared for my life. Away from what, I don't know. All I knew was that someone close to me was in trouble, and I couldn't save them. I was running faster than I had ever ran before. I couldn't see where I was going, but I was positive I was in the woods. It was dark and cold. I felt like the darkness was creeping into my skin and freezing my blood. I kept on running, not knowing if IT was still following. I screamed as I felt icys hand grip my back. I turned to see...Sunlight? Oh... It had been a dream-no, a nightmare. The icy hands that shook me, was no other than my mother's.

     "SHANNA! Your alarm has been blaring from FIFTEEN MINUTES! GET UP ALREADY!" My mom yelled, shaking my exhausted body.

     "I'm up, I'm up!" I told her, trying to open my heavy eyelids. I threw off my covers and yawned.

     My mom looked at me and said, "Get dressed and come down stairs; I have a surprise for you!"

     "Okay..." I replied, still half asleep. I watch her leave my room and heard her descend the stairs. I yawned again and started to get ready for the day.

     I sat down at the table and looked at my mom. She was bustling around the kitchen with a giant smile on her face. She tried hard to look natural, but it wasn't working. I knew what she wanted. She wanted me to ask what the surprise was. I watched her for a moment longer and then asked, "So, what's the surprise?"

     She turned to me and tried to keep a straight face, though, she was failing miserably. I waited for her to respond. She finally smiled and said with happiness. "I know what will make you love the woods!" I stared at her in shock as she continued. "One of the people that are staying here at the inn reported finding a barn in the middle of the woods. I was so surprised that I had never seen or heard of it, but then again, you know that I never stray of the path, unlike your father. He might have know about it. Actually, I think I remember him mentioning that he found a barn in the woods just before he disappeared. Maybe this is the same one? Anyway, I know how much you love animals so I decided that you get to have the barn! You can keep whatever kinds of animals you want to live there! You would have to feed and take care of them, of course, but I think this will help your fear of the woods, since you would have to go there to take care of them! It will be awesome, your own little stable!"

     I continued to stare at her in horror. No... no no no no no no! I don't want another reason to go into the woods, especially if it had something to do with my father's disappearance!! Why did she do this? Noooo! This is a horrible surprise! I opened my mouth to tell her that she didn't need to do this, but no sound came out.

     She looked at me and smiled, "This is good! I'm just so happy! This is going to work out beautifully! The barn is just off the side of the path. Right by the giant oak tree! I can't wait for you to see it! I'll have the young man who found it show you the way. Come on, he's outside."

     I sighed in defeat. No. This is not good This is very, Very, VERY BAD. I followed my mom outside to meet my guide and almost screamed. It was HIM. HE was my guide. Of course HE would be the one to find the barn. HE knows the forest like the back of his hand! He could practically live there!

     "Hello there. I don't think we've properly met yet. My name is Alexander." He smiled and gave a small bow.

     I stared at him in pure horror. My mom pushed me and I recovered. His blue eyes stared at me intently. I shook of the feeling of horror and replied. "Oh, Um. Hi. I'm Shanna...-" I trailed off as I looked at his face. He was beautiful. His incredibly pale skin made his black hair pop. He was handsome, but his best feature was his eyes. They almost seemed to change color. His eyes were blue now, VERY VERY Blue. they were amazing. I then realized he was waiting for my last name. I meant to say Black, I really did, but his eyes just too distracting. "BlueEyes," I murmured.

     My mom gave me a strange look. Blue eyes? why did I say Blue eyes? What is wrong with me?

     Alexander gave a small chuckle, "Hee, Really? Your last name is Blue Eyes? I thought it was BlackStone or is it different than your mother's?"

     I blushed a deep shade of red and stuttered, "O-oh! No-o... Um, I-It's..." I paused and then whispered very quietly, embarrassed. "BlackStone......."

     He grinned and asked again, "Sorry, I didn't catch that. What did you say?"

     I glared at him, almost positive he had heard me, I didn't argue. Instead I looked to my mom for help, but found that she had already left. Thanks a lot, mom! I sigh in defeat and said, " My last name is BlackStone, not... BlueEyes. I was distracted by your... VERY unusually bright blue. The first time I met you, I think that your eyes were black, but I must have been mistaken. I'm sorry."

     Alexander studied me a moment before laughing, "My eyes are distracting? Good to know, but, thanks for being honest! Ha, my eyes have always been blue, never black. I wonder where that came from."

     "Well, Alexander, It was dark so maybe I made a mistake! Anyway, we should get going," I told him. It felt good to finally know his real name. Then I realized then that he had never told me HIS last name. Meanie, he gave me gave me so much grief over my last name, but never told me his!

     He nodded at me and started towards the forest. I stopped him, "Wait! You never told me your last name! What is it? I deserve to know, because I told you mine! So, tell me what your last name is, Alexander!"

     He smiled, "You can call me Alex, if you want to. Alexander is a bit long." He chuckled a bit and continued.  "Also, you lied about your last name, so you deserve nothing."

     I glared at him, "It was an accident! I wasn't trying to lie to you!"

     "Still..." He shrugged. 

     "Tell Me!"

     "Nope, sorry!"

     "Come on! Please!"

     "No can do. We need to get going!" With that, he laughed and started of into the woods. I hurried after, not wanting to go in alone.