Chapter 3

I watched him walk into his room and let go of the breath I hadn't realized I had been holding. What is up with that guy? He's creepy! I hope his crew and he are only staying a night. I have a bad feeling about them. That's it! I'll ask mom how long they're planning on staying. She'd know! I smiled and ran down the stairs. I walked in the kitchen and found her having a late night snack. She was making tea.

     "Hi, Mom," I said, pulling up a chair next to her.

     She smiled at me and asked, "Hi, Hon, Do you want tea? It's black cherry!"

     I nodded, "Sure," Black Cherry was one of my favorites. I loved tea, especially the fruit ones.

     My mom grabbed me a glass and poured some tea in it. As I had predicted in the morning, her light brown hair was no longer in a bun. It had all fallen down to just below her shoulders. She handed me my tea, and I took it. I watched her sit down and saw her pale blue eyes were ringed with shadows. She wasn't getting enough sleep.

     "So, those new patrons... kinda weird," I started.

     My mom smiled, "Oh, yes! I can't believe that they came so late! I feel so sorry for them, coming here at 9 o'clock at night!"

     "Yeah," I said. It was dark when they came, so I had no clue what the four others looked like, I only saw the two in front. I looked at my mom and took a sip of tea. "So how long are they staying?"

     "About two weeks, I think."

     I spit out my tea and practically screamed, "WHAT!!!"

     My mom looked shocked. She blinked a few times and asked, "Is something wrong, Honey? I know that's an unusually long time to stay but..."

     "Um...," I stuttered, I was still horrified that they-HE-was staying for two weeks! "N-no. Why would-d something be wrong-g?"

    She gave me a look and then said, "Okay. Fine. Don't tell me, then."

    I looked at her. I couldn't tell if she was mad or just tired. I glanced at the clock. It was 10:09 p.m. "Mom, I think we should go home. It's already 10 o'clock!"

     "Oh, you go on ahead. I need to finish up some things here. I'll see you back at home." With that she walked out of the kitchen, dismissing me.

     I stared after her in shock. Now, I know that she was mad at me for not telling her what was wrong. She was making me walk back home though the creepy woods, alone, AT NIGHT! I was panicking. Not only that, but the freaky guy and his friends were staying here for two whole weeks! Nooooooo!!!! I couldn't believe it.

     I walked nervously to the door, grabbed a flashlight, and walked outside. It was so dark. I quickly turned on the flashlight and walked down the path to the woods.

     Why did my mom have to make me go alone! What did I ever do to her? I was now regretting not telling her about the creepy guy. And what was up with him any way? With his freaky stare and wacky friends! I know I couldn't even see half of them, but they were probably wacky and weird. I mean, they ALL had the SAME color skin and eyes! It was weird! I can't believe it. I have pale skin, but they looked like walking corpses! Creepy, and don't get me started on their eyes. Black as coal! They almost seem like they could stare into your soul! No wonder that guy froze me to the spot. Just looking at them gives me shivers! I involuntarily shuddered at the picture in my mind.

     When I reached the edge of the forest, I stopped. The woods were even creepier than usual. The unnatural light from my flashlight was making weird shadows and I could hear weird noises coming from in. I started to see weird things coming towards me. Were those shadows suppose to be walking towards me? Was that a scream I just heard? What Wa-

     "No," I whisper yelled at myself, "There's nothing there. Your letting your imagination run wild. Stop it this instant!." I sighed, closed my eyes, and stepping forward into the dark, shadowy forest. I took another step and then another. This wasn't so bad. I continued to walk forward. Nothing had tried to kill me yet! I started to get a little braver as I strolled through the dark woods. Maybe these woods weren't so bad. Maybe the monsters didn't exist. Maybe it was all my imagination! Maybe I had never needed to worry!

     I smiled. I could-no-WOULD get through this! I no longer notice the weird sounds, creepy shadows or even the sound of footprints following me. I walked deeper into the forest, thinking of how I would never go into the woods alone when I was little. It didn't matter if it was the middle of the day, I still had to have someone with me at all times. When I got older, I would go into the woods alone, but not at night. Never at night. Now maybe I was old enough to go into the woods at night, alone.

     It felt like such an accomplishment. I finally did it! I'm walking through the woods, ALONE, AT NIGHT! I gave myself a round of applause, I started to get really happy! I couldn't stop smiling. Maybe there was one good thing about my life. Maybe this was just the beginning of a long line of good things happening to me. I mean, I could seriously use a good luck turn.

     I was on such a happy high that I didn't notice a branch snap behind me or the glowing red eyes that had been carelessly following me. I didn't realize that I had strayed from the path or that I was in the middle of the forest, lost. I didn't even hear the sound of laughter and lots of footsteps. I Just kept walking, not realizing that if I had been more careful, none of this would have ever happened.