Chapter 1

After a long day of preparation for this flight, I am finally boarding the plane for my trip to Texas. It's been over a year since I've seen my best friend Normani and I couldn't be happier.

We met when we were seniors in high school at a softball camp that had teams from all over the country play and we have been best friends ever since. Now that we both have finally graduated college I'm going to take a trip there and stay for the month.

After the worker scans my ticket I follow the crowd down the hallway and into the plane. We don't have assigned seats and I luckily am in the first group to board.

I have to admit that I am a little nervous for this flight. I've done it multiple times and each time I still feel the same nerves. I take a deep breath as I step into the plane and turn right to search for a seat.

My eyes automatically spot the first row on the left with a girl sitting in the window seat and an empty one right next her.

She doesn't notice as I am approaching her so I speak up calmly as to not startle her.

"Excuse me, is anyone sitting here?" I ask her quietly as she averts her attention from looking out the window, to me. My breath instantly gets caught in my throat as I see how beautiful the girl in front of me is. From her long dark brown hair to her perfectly sculpted eyebrows to her chocolate brown eyes to her plump pink lips. I almost forget where I am until the person behind me nudges me as they try to pass by.

"Is everything alright? Did you hear me?" I hear the girl speak up snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Um yeah, I just get a little nervous flying. I'm sorry." I say back trying to cover up the real reason I was acting like that while she just gives me a soft polite smile.

"No worries, the seat is all yours." She says kindly so I set my carry on in the space above the seats and take a seat next to her.

"First time flying?" I turn my attention to the brunette next to me and realize how close we are so I quickly look down to my hands.

"No I've actually done this quite a few times before. It just never really gets easier for me." I say while fidgeting my fingers and trying not to think about how I can feel her gaze on me.

"Keep yourself busy and try not to think about it, time will fly by." She says calmly as I shift my gaze from my hands to her face. "I'm Camila by the way."

Just when I thought she couldn't be any more perfect I hear that beautiful name.

"Lauren."

"Nice to meet you Lauren. I hope I can make your flight at least a little bit more at ease for you." Camila says as the flight attendant makes her way to the front of the plane.

I can't focus on anything the lady is saying because I'm so nervous about this girl next to me for some reason.

"Hey.. We have to fasten our seat belts now." I hear Camila whisper from my side trying to gain my attention for the second time already.

I already know my face is probably a dark shade of red so I try to hide it with my hair as I mutter out a 'thanks'.

"Taking off and landing is the worst part." I say as I look up at Camila worriedly.

"Here." Camila says as she reaches into her bag and pulls out headphones. "Just put these in and close your eyes. It'll be over before you know it."

I reach out for the headphones and place them in my ears. The 1975 is playing softly and I immediately feel comforted. I rest my head back and shut my eyes. Moments later I feel a hand rest on top of mine and I feel my entire body heat up but I try to play it cool. I slowly lift my head up to look at Camila and she is wearing a small comforting smile that is all I needed to relax. After I return her smile I take a deep breath and rest my head back again. Losing myself in her comfort and the music.

After I feel the plane take off I also feel a loss of contact from Camila. She retracted her hand and I can't help but miss the comfort from her. I don't make a move to sit up though because I am finally somewhat at ease. I let my exhaustion take over and end up drifting off to sleep.

-

I blink my eyes open and for a second I forget that I'm on a plane. Never have I ever felt so relaxed while riding in a plane to fall asleep like that before. As I begin to become aware of my surroundings I realize that I fell asleep with my head on Camila's shoulder. I quickly sit up and pull the headphones out and look to her. She has a smug smile on her face while I probably look like I've just seen a ghost.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean-"

"Stop, Lauren it's ok. Breathe." Camila says while trying to stifle in a laugh.

"How long was I asleep?" I ask her while handing her head phones back.

"About an hour."

"Oh great. Still two and a half more hours to go." I say while slumping down in my seat.

"Oh it can't be that bad stuck with me on a plane." Camila winks while I dissolve under her stare.

"You're right. It could be worse." I say truthfully.

"So are you staying in Texas when we land or are you headed somewhere else?" Camila asks while I turn my body to face her.

"I'm staying in Texas. My best friend lives there so I'm just visiting. What about you?"

"Yeah I'm also staying in Texas with a friend."

"Is it your first time?" I ask her curiously. Something about this girl is pulling me in and I want to know all about her.

"Yeah it is. I'm a little nervous though, Texas is so huge." Camila answers somewhat distressed.

"Yeah, well at least you'll have your friend." I tell her honestly as she simply nods in agreement.

I'm not sure how much time has passed of us talking and getting to know each other before I hear the flight attendant announce that we will be landing in about 15 minutes.

"Wow you were right."

"Hm?" Camila looks to me somewhat confused as her eyebrows furrow together and I can't help but smile at the sight.

"The time did pass quickly. We just have to get through this landing now." I say as I take a deep breath.

"Do you want my headphones again?" Camila asks sweetly and I just look to her and smile.

"No thank you. Just.. Talk to me?" I ask Camila hopeful.

"Of course."

-

As we land we are sitting and waiting for the seat belt lights to go off and for them to let us off of the plane.

"Do you think I could possibly have your number?" I ask Camila out of a burst of courage. I would never forgive myself if I left here without the intriguing girls number.

"Sure." Camila says as she reaches for her phone and hands it over to me. As soon as I finish, the seat belt lights go off and they announce that we are able to exit the plane.

"Just text me ok? Normani is already waiting for me so I have to hurry to find her." I tell Camila while I stand up to get my carry on from above our seats.

"I definitely will text you Lauren. Have a good trip." Camila says with a bright smile. I return her smile and wave goodbye to make my way to baggage claim.

As I'm waiting and watching the conveyer belt for my luggage I finally see it coming towards me. I step around to the other side and retrieve it quickly. As I turn on my heel to head for the entrance Normani is by, I catch a glimpse of Camila. My heart drops and I have to take a double look. I can't believe what my eyes are seeing right now. I'm in pure shock I was not expecting that. There's no way..

------

Let me know what you think..
-Jess