Chapter 4

The GPS now says I have 5 minutes until I arrive and I am freaking out. I turn onto her street and am looking at the houses on the left for hers until I finally see it. I pull into her driveway and turn off my GPS. I take a huge deep breath and check myself one more time in the mirror before stepping out and walking to the front door. I knock three times then take a step back and wait. Moments later the door opens up and I'm met with a beautiful Camila waiting on the other side with a nervous smile. She's in her wheelchair as expected and I still think she's the most breathtaking girl I've ever seen.

"Hi Lauren."

"Hello Camila."

Camila moves aside so I can step in and I close the door behind me.

"We can go to the living room." Camila says as she waves her hand for me to follow. I slip my shoes off then quickly follow behind. She stops at the side of the couch while I step around and sit down on the side closest to her.

I can finally take in how gorgeous this girl really is. From her dark blue skinny jeans to her mid sleeve collared shirt. She has her long dark brown hair falling loosely over one shoulder and a soft pink lipstick.

"This is exactly what I didn't want Lauren." I hear Camila say snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I question back confused.

"You're staring.." Camila looks down to her hands and fidgets her fingers together. I realize what she's talking about and immediately feel bad.

"Oh god no, Camila I wasn't staring at that." I begin to grow nervous. "Y-you just look so beautiful that's all. I couldn't help but stare at you. I'm sorry." I try to assure her. She blushes slightly but I'm still not able to read her expression.

"Thanks.." She trails off while looking up at me. "You look beautiful as well." She hides her bottom lip in between her teeth and looks even more adorable than before.

"Thank you. I um I actually saw you at the airport after I got my luggage." I speak out calmly as she listens intently. "This wheelchair Camila.. It doesn't change my opinion of you. You're still the same amazing person I met on the plane." I finish as I try her method of comfort and reach out for her hand. I hold it securely while I wait for her to say something.

"That means a lot Lauren. A lot more than you could ever imagine." I begin to stroke the back of her hand while wearing a comforting smile. "It's um it's not permanent. Well hopefully not." I furrow my eyebrows together. "The reason I'm here, in Texas, is because I'm having surgery that'll hopefully help me walk again." I sit up in my seat letting go of her hand.

"That's great Camila." She looks at me with a small smile. "Right?"

"Yeah I mean, I think so. I'm just worried. There's always a chance it won't work and I could be stuck in this forever." Camila gestures to her chair.

"Don't think that way. The only way you'll be able to get through it completely, is to stay positive and have all the support you can get." I tell her honestly.

"That's the hard part.." Camila looks away from me while biting back her lip. She looks like she's struggling to say something so I scoot to the edge of the couch and reach for her hand again. Camila meets my eyes and I give her an encouraging smile.

"When I said I was staying with a friend.. I'm actually not. I rented this wheelchair friendly apartment for the time being. I don't have the support I could use through this because my family hasn't spoken to me in years. But that's a topic for another time." She smiles simply. "My best friend Dinah lives back at home in Miami but she wasn't able to make it out here because of work. So it's just me." Camila puts on a brave smile.