Chapter 8

"Do we have to shop tonight? I'm tired," I said, trying to drag my butt down the street and keep up with Mattie.

"Jake hasn't left us much time to prepare. You've got a whole day of spa treatments tomorrow. Then you're going to have to rush back here so I can color and cut you."

"I still can't believe he isn't telling you what you're doing," Mattie said, in a huff.

"I think it's kind of sweet. You know, being all mysterious. It's a pretty good move. I have to admit, I haven't stopped thinking about what we're going to be doing for even a second."

"Oh please. It's a date with Jake Hall, as if you would have stopped thinking about it anyway," Mattie said.

"You've got a point," I said.

"Here we go," Mattie said and pulled me into a store. "This place should have everything we need."

Frankly the store didn't look like much, just an out of the way little shop. Inside was dark and reminded me of what the inside of an old fishing boat must look like. But the walls were lined with gleaming objects; costume jewelry, hats, purses, sunglasses. Just about every kind of accessory you would ever need or want.

Mattie grabbed a big basket from the front of the store and went to work.

"Just go sit back there," he said, pointing to a wall of mirrors that lined the back of the store.

"Okay, you're the boss," I said and winked at him.

But he was too busy throwing item after item into his basket to notice that I was trying to be cute, so I just went and sat on a big comfy chair.

"Can I get you anything while you wait?" a saleslady asked.

"Um. Sure. Do you have coffee?"

"We have Columbian, Espresso, Latte, Cappuccino, or Café Crema."

"Wow. Really?" I said, amazed that this little hole in the wall was so accommodating. "I'll have a latte please."

"Coming right up," she said with a smile and snuck back behind the curtain that she'd appeared from.

She quickly returned with my coffee, which was surprisingly good. I sipped and flipped through the latest fashion magazines sitting on the coffee table. It didn't take long for Mattie to arrive with his basket of goodies.

"Okay darling. Are you ready for a whirlwind accessory adventure?"

"I guess so," I said, not really sure that I was.

He began to pull and prod me, piling me with this hat, then that hat. He flung necklaces over my head and rammed sunglasses on me so hard I winced.

"It's the price of beauty," he kept reminding me.

"Jeez Mattie, I'm a person, not a mannequin."

"Oh shush," he said. "It's going to be totally worth it."

He put the things he liked back into the basket, and the rest he tossed onto one of the chairs. I thought it was kind of rude of him, especially considering the great customer service we were getting, but who was I to correct him on anything shopping related.

"Okay, we're definitely going with a hat. I'm thinking low ponytail and a hat will fool people into thinking you're hip and chic."

"Thanks."

"Perhaps no necklace, just an understated scarf and plenty of bangles to jazz you up a little. Cool belt. Sunglasses would be too much. And the purse."