Chapter 14

As expected, Jennifer and I were a little underdressed. Not so much that we stood out too badly, but enough to make me just a tiny bit uncomfortable. At least we weren't as bad off as poor Bobbi Lynne, she was wearing a sundress.

"Gosh y'all look nice," she said. "I can't believe everyone is dressed so formal. I thought on a tropical island, everyone would just be wearing sundresses all day."

"You look fine," I said, smiling and silently thanking the lord that I had packed at least as much as I had. In her defense, she really did look nice in the sundress, and it was quite classy as far as sundresses go.

We were getting a lot of sideways glances from Emma's friends. I guess our impression from the pool was still fresh in their minds. I decided it was best to stick to sipping water, just to be safe.

The meal was a delicious combination of meats and vegetables, roasted over an open flame.

"Is it just me," I said to Jennifer, "or is the food way better here than back home."

She was nodding as she chewed. "It must be the tropical weather. These veggies are to die for."

We finished our meals and went straight to bed. According to the itinerary, we were in for a long day tomorrow.

# # #

I woke up early, and Jennifer was still snoring quietly. I got out of bed and checked the schedule for the day.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant. An island tour, including a stop at the rainforest, and then an undersea tour of the reef. Private dinner and dancing at the hotel restaurant with some 'special guests.'

I started a pot of coffee and went to have a quick shower. By the time I was done, Jennifer was starting to stir.

"Mmmm. Do I smell coffee?" she asked.

"Yup," I said, pouring two cups and handing her one.

"Thanks," she said and blew into her cup.

"So, island tour today," I said.

"Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to it," she said.

"Me too. And no drinking until at least mid afternoon," I said.

My eyes were still a little sensitive to the light of day.

"I feel like shit," Jennifer said.

"A shower might help you feel like you're alive again," I suggested.

She nodded and sucked back a bit more coffee before going to get ready.

I killed a little time reading out on the terrace before we had to leave.

A buffet of every pastry you could imagine, plus an omelet bar, plenty of fresh seafood, and what seemed like every fruit that existed, awaited us downstairs.

"Try to eat quickly girls," Emma announced from the front of the room. "Our tour leaves in a half hour."

I poured myself some orange juice and dove into my waffles smothered in strawberries and whipped cream.

"Whoa, slow down there McMaster," Jennifer said, sitting beside me. "Save some of that energy for tonight."

"You should talk miss 'hog the omelet bar for 15 minutes while I make sure they put absolutely everything on.'"

She elbowed me in as I was taking another bite.

"So I'm guessing the 'special guests' tonight will be strippers, hey?" I said.