Chapter 11

Dear Bridesmaids,

I have a very exciting update for you today. The first fitting for your dresses is fast approaching! I hope you will all agree with me that they are the absolute most fabuloso dresses ever to have adorned this earth. Please make sure you are at your appointments promptly at the stated time, as the store is making a special effort to fit you all in on such short notice. The times are attached as an Outlook file to make it easier to integrate into your calendars.

Your Bride,

Emma VanHorn

I clicked into the attachment and saw that my appointment was tomorrow. Crap. I would barely be able to get there in time after work. And I absolutely, positively could not justify missing any more work over this 'silly wedding thing' as my boss called it. He was as about as impressed with my new Bridesmaid status as he was with the shampoo I used.

If only my new celebrity status were actually good for something, it might not be so bad.

"Hey," Mattie peeked into my cubicle.

"Hey," I said.

"I thought I heard email being opened. Any messages from the stud?"

"No. But I do have a new one from Emma."

"Ooh, let me see," he said scurrying into the room, taking his usual place, looming behind my right shoulder.

"Oh my gosh, the Bridesmaid dresses! I almost forgot you'd get to wear another fabulous dress. Just imagine, you will be forever captured in the wedding pictures!"

"Exactly," I said. "That's why I am positive that it's going to be some sort of hideous excuse for a dress."

"Oh, shush. You know that Emma VanHorn has impeccable taste."

I nodded. "And I also know that she's not going to want any of the attention drawn away from her on her wedding day."

"Of course Emma is going to want to look better than her Bridesmaids, but she's also not going to ruin her fashion integrity by choosing something hideous," Mattie said.

"I guess we'll see tomorrow, won't we?"

Mattie gasped. "Oh my God, can I come with you?"

"I hadn't really meant the 'we' as in we'll both go see, but I probably would need a little moral support. If the dress was hideous, I was going to need somebody there to remind me why I was doing this in the first place. Wait, why am I doing this in the first place?" I asked.

"Because you are fabulous and Jake Hall is in the middle of falling madly in love with you."

"No, that's not it."

"Oh right," Mattie said looking rather frustrated with me. "Your silly little trip to Europe."

"Yes. That's right. There is a real, concrete reason. Not some head in the clouds movie star fairy tale."

He left the room without arguing though the look on his face said that he did not agree with me.

# # #

That night Calla and I decided a quiet night in was on the menu along with some Chinese and a little stargazing on 'Entertainment News.'

I happily munched my Chow Mein.

"Stay tuned for some scandalous, never before seen footage in the latest Bridesmaid Lotto extravaganza, next on 'Entertainment News,'" the show host announced.