Chapter 3

-Patrick's POV-

*Ding*

I groaned and buried my face in the back of Gwen's neck, pressing my lips against her soft skin and giving her a gentle kiss. I pulled her closer to me and breathed in, the subtle scent of her perfume bringing a small grin to my face.

*Ding*

My eyes popped open and I was immediately blinded by the sunlight shining through the window. My eyebrows furrowed together as I squinted my eyes, my pupils shrinking to prevent how much light they were taking in. Once the room came into focus, I glanced back over my shoulder and looked at the digital clock on her nightstand. 7:38a.m. Sitting in front of the digital clock was her cellphone, the screen illuminated with notifications.

I stretched my hand back and picked it up, bringing it closer to my eyes to see that the notifications were actually text messages.

Zack - Today, 7:37a.m.
Why aren't you answering the door? Come on let me in, Gwen.

Zack - Today, 7:35a.m.
Hey, I'm here. I left my keys home when I left for tour though so you're going to have to let me in.

Zack - Today, 7:02a.m.
I just got off the train and I'm picking up a taxi. I should be there in about a half an hour. I hope you didn't tell Chase I was coming - I want to surprise him!

Zack - Yesterday, 10:30p.m.
Hey, I might be coming a little earlier than expected. Our bus arrived in Minnesota early and I found a train to Chicago. I decided to take it because I really miss you guys. I should be there in a few hours.

My eyes widened in horror, "Uh, Gwen?"

"Yeah?" She mumbled, still not fully awake.

"He's here."

"Just tell him to go back to bed, it's too early," She retorted, thinking I was talking about Chase since we'd taken him back to his own bed after he fell asleep, after my song was finished.

"No, Gwen. He's here," I conveyed.

"What do you mean?"

"Zack's here!" I snapped at her, "Zack is here! Right now!"

"What?" She screamed, jolting right up and looking over at me worriedly. I handed her her phone and she took it into her possession, reading the messages for herself. "Shit! Why'd he have to do this? I told him to come in two days! Not today! Ugh!" She tossed her phone to me and jumped out of bed, throwing the covers at me in the process.

I pulled the covers down off my face and saw Gwen trying to pull her jeans on, hopping around on one leg while she tried to pull her pant leg up the other one. I couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped from my lips. She shot a glare in my direction. I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing and tilted my head down, looking at her phone in my hands.

"I'm telling you, Gwen, just end it with him already," I muttered under my breath as I swiped her screen to unlock it, wanting to distract myself with a game.

"Patrick, it's not as easy as just leaving him." She paused for a moment before tacking on, "You don't understand."

"You're right, I don't."

Simultaneously, the two of us said, "And I never will." (Though she said "And you never will.")

She glanced over at me and sighed. "It's just complicated, Patrick."

"Hey, what's your passcode again?" I inquired after punching in a couple of wrong ones.

"I already told you, I don't have any games on there," She grumbled as she struggled to button her jeans because her hands were so fidgety, "Goddammit, why won't these button?"

"Here, let me help." I crawled out of bed and walked up to her, taking her hands away from the hemline of her pants and buttoning the two sides together myself.

"Thanks," She said so quietly I almost didn't hear it, her cheeks growing red with embarrassment.

I kept my hands there and slowly gazed up into Gwen's eyes, the corner of my lips slowly perking upward into a smirk. She smirked too and leaned in, connecting her lips with mine.

*Ding*

She pulled out of the kiss and groaned in annoyance, looking over at her phone on the bed. "I probably should get that."

"You don't have to," I suggested.

She sighed and ran her hands down my chest, holding them there for a brief moment before dropping them to her sides, walking over to her bed, and looking at her cellphone. She rolled her eyes and threw her phone back down, striding over to the closet and tearing open the doors, staring at her collection of shirts and trying to decide which one to pair with her jeans.

I walked up behind her and reached over her shoulder, picking out a solid white, v-neck, short-sleeve tee. "What about this?"

She smiled up at me and snatched the garment out of my hand, quickly slipping it over her head and adjusting it. I leaned against the vanity and let out a long sigh before returning the smile. She met my gaze and blushed even more than she already was.

"So...I guess this is goodbye, then?" I asked, crossing my arms.

Gwen turned away from me and murmured, "Not forever. Just for the week. He'll be back on tour in a few days and-"

"Gwen, why don't you just tell him already?" I questioned, cutting her short as I picked up my clothes from the floor and slipped into them, "Because I'm getting tired of always coming and going. I want to stay and I know you want me to stay too. So does Chase."

"Patrick..."

"This is perfect time!"

"On his birthday?" She scoffed. "Fuck no. I couldn't do that to him. That's just cruel."

"Well are you ever going to tell him?" I asked impatiently, tightening and buckling my belt. Ever since I lost weight, none of my clothes have been fitting quite the same way. I needed to get some new ones.

"I'll tell him eventually, Patrick," She mumbled, quickly trying to make the bed, "Just not right now."

I sighed. "Fine."

Gwen glanced back at me, a smile on her face, "Thanks, babe. You're the best."

"Just remember that when you're with him," I muttered coldly. She shook her head and walked over to me, draping her arms around my neck and running a hand through my hair, bringing our lips together for a kiss. I pulled away and smiled down at her. "I love you."

"I love you too," She replied, kissing me once more before leaving the bedroom. I followed her out and we made our way downstairs, Gwen reiterating the escape plan to me. However, when we reached the bottom of the steps, the front door had already been opened, and that could only have meant one thing.

"Gwen! Hey!"

Shit.