Chapter 10

-Zack's POV-

I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, meeting the singer's gaze. I knew that once I told him the truth about Gwen, there was going to be only one of two outcomes. Either he'd believe me and know better than to stay with her, or he'd think I was lying to him in an attempt to get him away and - in turn - make him stay with her longer, maybe even push him to take her away from me. No matter what outcome, though, I had high doubts that I was going to be the one who Gwen chose to be when the time came. In fact, I was almost certain of that. But for right now, I was here to stay, and I was willing to do whatever it took to make that happen.

"She's a liar, Patrick," I confessed, swallowing the lump in my throat, "A compulsive one, too. She says whatever she has to to get what she wants."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm not following."

"What has she told you about us, about me and her?" I inquired, gripping the glass that had condensation growing on its surface. He stared at me blankly, acting as if I was speaking a different language. "Well?"

"I-I don't know," He stammered, obviously thrown off by my question.

"Come on, Patrick. She must've told you something about our relationship."

Patrick kept his eyes locked on mine for what felt like hours, though only seconds had passed by. He uncrossed his arms and dropped his hands into his lap, replying, "I mean, yeah, she's told me some things, but telling you what she told me feels...I don't know...wrong."

"Why? It's not like I haven't heard it before. I bet you I can even guess what she's said without you even telling me." I picked up the pint and brought the cold glass to my lips, downing a good portion of it before slamming it back down onto the table and pointing my index finger at him. "I bet she told you that some days she thinks that she and I are going to work out, but then there are days like today, where I make her want to tear her fucking hair out. And she also told you that you're the one she wants to be with because you're everything I'm not. You love her for who she really is and not the girl she was in high school, and that whatever's going on in your life isn't more important than her. If I'm not exact, I'm sure it was something close to that."

His eyes were double their normal size and his jaw was dropped in astonishment, amazement. "H-How did you know that?"

"I already told you, Patrick, I've heard it all before. Sorry to break it to you, but you're not the first person she's done this with." His eyebrows knit together in confusion. The corner of my lip perked up and I leaned forward, continuing, "You see, she thinks I'm stupid and that I don't know what goes on when I'm not home, but I do. I may not know to what extent sometimes, but I know."

The singer tilted his head down, a nervous chuckle slipping past his lips. "So I'm guessing this invitation wasn't to celebrate our birthdays at all."

"Oh, no, it was. I didn't get much of a celebration for my birthday since the guys and I had a show. But I knew your birthday was some time after mine, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity, and while I was at it, I thought I might as well give you some insight as to what you're getting yourself into. Because Gwen's not the girl you think she is, Patrick."

He sat there for a little before inquiring, "If she's as bad as you say she is, then why are you still with her?"

I laughed. "That's a good question, one I constantly ask myself - especially when she does things like this - but to give you an answer...I stay with her because I love her, her and her constant lies. I couldn't tell you why, I just..." I heaved a sigh, a shameful smile appearing on my face.

I didn't know why I loved Gwen, knowing that she didn't love me as much as I loved her. I could reiterate the same excuses I always did when asked by my friends or my parents why I stayed with her - that we'd been together for so long and that there was no way the two of us could ever leave one another without it being a big mess because of Chase. But those were just excuses, they weren't the real reasons as to why I'd stuck by her side all these years.

I never finished my sentence, bringing the pint up to lips and finishing the drink. I smacked my lips together and set the empty glass down, asking, "Why don't you humor me and tell me why you love her?"

I could tell by his reluctance that he didn't want to continue this conversation. I wasn't even sure I wanted to continue it, despite me being the one to initiate the discussion and find new questions to keep the two of us talking.

"I can't explain why," He responded softly, playing with the corner of the paper coaster underneath one of the three remaining pints on the tray, "I just do."

With a slight chuckle, I muttered under my breath, "Of course. That's what they all say."

"How many other people has she done this with, Zack?" He questioned.

"Two that I know of, Alex actually being one of them." By Alex, I meant Alex Gaskarth, one of my best friends. Patrick's eyes grew ever bigger than they already were. "Yeah, crazy, right? It happened about six months after she and I started dating. I didn't put it past her, though. We were in high school and no one had a clue about what the fuck they were doing. Hormones and stuff, you know? Anyways, one night she called him, sobbing. She told him that I was treating her like shit - which, for the record, wasn't true - and that she just couldn't take it anymore. I guess he invited her over and then the two of them hooked up. I don't know how it exactly happened, but the next I knew, Alex wasn't talking to me and Gwen, she...she was acting as if nothing was wrong, going on as if things were just how I thought they were. It wasn't until a few weeks passed before Rian told me what was happening. He wasn't supposed to, but he felt that, because we were best friends, he had to tell me. And I'm glad he did."

Patrick just sat there quietly, absorbing everything I was telling him.

"I just don't want you ending up heartbroken when she chooses me over you," I concluded, reaching out for another pint.

He slowly glanced up at me, his eyebrows knitting together. "What makes you think she's going to choose you?"

"She always chooses me," I answered simply with a slight chuckle. I drank a good amount of the drink before adding, "Always, every time. I mean, she'll eventually choose me. She'll probably choose you first, then feel bad and come back to me. That's usually how it goes, at least."

"Well maybe this time's different," Patrick retorted, standing up and straightening the front of his jacket, "Maybe she's finally gained the confidence to actually leave you."

I stared at him blankly before I broke into a smile. "You're hilarious."

"No, Zack, I'm serious," He replied sternly, making the grin on my face disappear, "You two were young when you got together and you didn't know anything. You're older now and you're starting to realize that maybe the two of you aren't meant to be. Just admit it already. She's found someone else she wants to be with, why don't you do the same?" And with that, he stuck his hand into his pocket and pulled out some cash. He slammed the small wad down on the table, and without saying another word, walked away into the crowd.

I hung my head and answered his question, muttering to myself, "Because I don't want to."