[ ten ]

[edited 8 January 2017]

•••

Bellamy was still going through the journal, and the grounders protests had long since stopped. His fingers brushed over a page with a blurry outline of a man on it, and Miller asked, "What the hell is that thing?"

Bellamy tilted the book so the grounder could see it, asking, "Friend of yours?"

Raine was standing in the corner of the room, arms crossed in an angry silence. She was still thinking of another way to convince Bellamy to stop, when the hatch opened and Clarke came up. Raine pushed herself off of the wall she had been leaning on, watching the blonde.

A boy quickly stood in front of Clarke in a barring way, and she looked up at him, unimpressed. "Get the hell out of my way." She spoke in a bored tone.

"It's okay." Bellamy spoke, "Let her pass."

The boy stepped aside and Clarke stood in front the grounder. Raine stood next to Bellamy, watching her intently. Clarke's eyes widened as she took in the dried blood and bruises covering the grounder face. She turned to Raine, "Well, if he didn't hate us before he hates us now."

Raine raised an eyebrow, "You think? You can thank Captain Caveman over here." She nodded at Bellamy, and the older boy rolled his eyes.

"Who cares?" Bellamy asked, grabbing Clarke's wrist and leading her across the room. Raine watched closely, unaware that the grounder was studying her.

"His people will care." Clarke responded, "How long until his people figure out where he is? And what happens when they do, and when they come looking for him? They will, Bellamy."

"Relax, Princess." Bellamy spoke, and Raine tensed at the nickname. "No-one saw us take him. He was chained up in that cave the entire time and thanks to that storm, we didn't see a soul on the way back."

The drop ship suddenly shook violently, and Raine stumbled a bit before steadying herself. Bellamy glanced over his should at the grounder, his eyes brushing over Raine, and he quickly flicked through the book to the page with the tally. "Look, his people are already killing us. How many more of our people need to die before you realise we're fighting a war?"

Clarke was silent, studying the drawings as uneasiness settled over her. Finally, she snapped the book shut and hissed, "We're not soldiers, Bellamy... look at him." She gestured towards the grounder, and Bellamy's eyes followed. "We can't win."

"You're right, we can't," Bellamy agreed, startling everyone, "If we don't fight."

There was a sudden shout from Raven underneath them, "Clarke, he's seizing!"

Clarke's face twisted into horror and she pressed the book to Bellamy's chest before scurrying down the ladder, "I'm on my way!"

When she disappeared, Bellamy shut the hatch, locking it closed. Raine watched with narrowed eyes, "Bellamy, what are you doing?"

"I'm doing what's best for for everyone, for you." He answered as he made his way over to the grounder, "For Octavia."

"No, you're doing what's best for you. You heard Clarke, his people will come and they will kill us. It took five of you to knock him out, what are we going to do with an entire army?" Raine inquired, her voice carrying a hint of pleading.