[ eighteen ]

[ edited 7 February 2017]

•••

AFTER.

"We need more supplies; it's as simple as that." Raine told Murphy, her voice firm as the duo made their way through the woods. It had a few days since they had made their grand exit, and in that time Raine had been doing everything possible to keep her mind occupied. If her mind wasn't constantly occupied, it would come to a stop on the one thing she didn't want to focus on.

Bellamy.

This, consequently, also meant that in the past few days, Raine had barely slept. Sleeping lead to nightmares and the nightmares lead to him. Raine knew that once she ventured down that path, she wouldn't be able to turn herself around. She was drained; emotionally, physically and mentally.

Murphy harrumphed from beside her, "Okay and where are we supposed to find them? I want to keep the few remaining fingernails I have in my fingers, so there's no way I'm stealing anything from the grounders."

Raine rolled her eyes as she walked... or more like waddled as a result of her clumsiness. Her ankle was getting better – the injury wasn't as bad as they had previously thought. It still grew tender as time passed if she was walking on it, but the pain was a dull ache and it was just another thing for Raine to keep her mind off. "I'm not stupid, Murphy. A while back, just after you'd been banished, Bellamy and I went to a supply bunker; it was where we found the guns. As we went in, I saw the number twenty-three plastered on the wall. Maybe, if we went back there, we could find the locations of more supply bunkers."

Murphy paused for a moment, his face a canvas of shock as he took the information in. He resisted the urge to clap slowly, not wanting Raine to slap him again. She may have been a small girl, but hell was she feisty. Raine, however, didn't notice her friend's brief pause as she was focusing heavily on the ground and biting her lip harshly. Without meaning to, she had reminded herself of Bellamy. Their trip to the bunker was what you would call a significant event for them. Not only did Bellamy and Raine battle both their demons and a deranged teenager, but they had had a moment; Raine still remembered the way his hand felt in hers.

"Raine? Did you hear me?" Murphy spoke, waving his hands in front of Raine's face. She was ripped from her memory and blinked rapidly, steadying herself before she looked at him. He had his eyebrows raised, and she waited for a sarcastic comment to come her way. It didn't, instead Murphy's brows knitted themselves into concern and he stopped walking altogether. He stood in front of Raine, forcing her to stop.

"Pardon? Sorry, I didn't hear you." Raine mumbled.

"I asked if you knew where the bunker was. Number twenty-three?" Murphy repeated his previous question. He knew something was seriously off with Raine – she had used 'pardon?' instead of her usual 'what?' and had also apologised to him in a single sentence.

Raine blinked slowly, and then shook her head. "No, I don't. Not from here, anyway. We'd have to go back to camp and then retrace my steps from there."

Even if they did manage to pull that off, returning so close to the camp, there was no way that Raine could confidently lead Murphy back to the bunker. She had been munching on those looney nuts the whole trip.

"Dammit." Murphy cursed, running a hand through his knotting hair. He sniffed, "Whatever, we'll figure it out later. You need to rest before you fall over."