Chapter Twenty Five - Collision

Chase had intended to stick close to Green Coast's border as he made his way north, having brushed off the idea that the Shadow Soldiers would be lurking anywhere within the region – until that very thought had given him pause. He had already considered the reasons why the Shadow Soldiers might be lingering close to Green Coast and Lion Crest, but he had put Sage at the heart of those reasons. What if he was wrong?

Hiding in Green Coast would be dangerous, yes, but also unexpected. What if, to throw off any pursuers, the Shadow Soldiers would risk hiding in the one area no one would expect them to?

Chase suddenly moved, his heightened hearing catching the faintest whistle of steel slicing through the air right before a dagger shot past him and landed with a thunk in the tree directly ahead. He turned around, drawing his sword, and peered into the surrounding woods.

A second dagger cut through the air and Chase deflected it with his sword, sending the dagger off course. He couldn't sense any Kyra signatures which meant they were adept at masking them, but as his attacker drew nearer they didn't bother to do it quietly.

A part of Chase expected Crest Soldiers, but it wasn't the Lion Crest uniform he saw on the four Soldiers who appeared through the trees. No; their uniforms were black with red detailing, their padded vests displaying a symbol he had seen once before.

A red earth bound by chains.

'If you're here,' said Chase, sliding one foot back to brace himself, 'then Sage must be too.'

One of the RedEarth Soldiers tilted his head to the other three and said, 'Head for Dallan, the others have found the Shadow Soldiers. Cell Four isn't far behind.'

Chase's brow lifted, but as the three RedEarth Soldiers took their leave the fourth moved toward Chase, stopping him from following. He withdrew the sword sheathed at his hip, revealing the razor-teeth along the blade's edge, and then gave a sneer to match.

The Soldier lunged and Chase side-stepped around him, turning on his heel to sweep his blade through the air toward the Soldier's back but the Soldier was quick and twisted, parrying Chase's sword. Chase pulled back quickly and struck again, the ringing of steel filling the air as their swords countered each other, one hit after another.

Growing impatient, Chase pulled away and flicked out a small, palm-sized dagger from the pouch at his hip that made the RedEarth duck aside to avoid it.

'I don't have the time for you,' Chase said, slipping two more daggers between his fingers – but before he could dispatch them, the RedEarth Soldier was suddenly gunned down.

Chase turned around, finding Trey, Sydney, Raven and Ashe appearing through the trees. 'We don't have time running around after you,' said Raven, 'but here we are.'

'The Renark sent you?' asked Chase, lowering his sword.

'Of course she did,' Trey replied. 'We're here to bring your back to Lion Crest, where you will be charged accordingly.'

'I can't go back, not yet,' he said. 'Sage is here. You all don't understand, but I have a duty to—'

'You have a duty to your city,' Raven thundered, 'and that duty is more important than your ridiculous need for revenge.'

'Sage is the traitor here, not me. Why are you wasting time hunting me down when it should be Sage and the Shadow Soldiers?'

'None of us condone Sage's decision to leave with the Shadow Soldiers, Chase,' Trey told him, 'but that does not mean we wish to kill her for it like you seem to intend. The Renark has also sent a second squad to find Sage and return her to the city, but your judgement is far too clouded by your emotions to do the same.'