06. sharing a bed

After Sagger and Zelda went away, things got pretty... boring. Without their witty comments and nice company, Alia had to face Jane's parents questions, Dylan and May, the PDA couple, kissing each other at every minute and a not-so-nice dinner.

Where are you from, darling? What do you do? What are your hobbies? How did you and Colin meet? The questions came one after another, and they answered all of them, smiling and trying to maintain coherence. Keeping the lie until dessert became Alia's personal mission as soon as she came to the dinner table.

But then uncle Tom appeared, holding a bottle of wine and smiling. So, is there a place for me in this family, or what? When he sat at table, talking about the trip, his kids, wife – Ella's coming with the kids in two days. Her goddamn mother's sick again, that old witch! – and his stupid co-workers in a jokingly tone, Alia felt glad for his presence. The awkward silence that tried to corrupt the dinner vanished with uncle Tom's presence.

When she wasn't answering questions about her life or too nervous watching Mr. Henderson's reactions, Alia was laughing with uncle Tom, Jane's father's brother. He was the type of carefree guy that everyone liked to have around, telling jokes at the table and laughing out loud at anything. The wrinkles around his eyes remembered Alia of her father, and with uncle Tom, it was rather easy to face the boring dinner.

And when the dessert came, Alia was surprised. Mr. Henderson was laughing with uncle Tom and Jane's mother, Dylan and May were feeding each other – of course –, and Jane and her father were talking about the wedding. Alia smiled, taking a spoon of her chocolate mousse.

There's no need to worry. Everything'll be... fine.

▬▬▬▬

But she couldn't deny it was a blessing when they finally closed the bedroom door. The absence of laughter, voices and questions made Alia breathe again. After a quick shower, she stretched herself and left the bathroom to Mr. Henderson, who thanked her with a small smile before closing the door.

The silence, broken only by the sound of the waves crashing and Mr. Henderson showering, was a tonic to Alia's mind after that busy day. With her P.J.'s on, lying on the bed, she smiled at the cell phone.

Tell me Gisele is there. XxN.

I wish. Only Jane's family. Things are great, thanks for asking.

You're gonna attend to a top model's wedding with our sexy boss. Things are more than great for you.

Alia furrowed her eyebrows, looking at the bathroom door where Mr. Henderson was changing. She typed the next words slowly:

I had no idea you fancied Mr. H.?

Well, he's in my 'I Would Bang' list...

Alia made a face at the screen. Natalie always had a... high sex drive, but to fancy Mr. Henderson was something bizarre. As usual, Alia acted as the voice of the reason:

He's our boss, Natalie.

I know. Super kinky.

Alia saw Mr. Henderson coming through the bathroom door, drying his hair with a towel, and typed a fast goodnight to Nat. Her friend shot it back immediately.

Don't forget Gisele's autograph! Love you!

She turned off the cell phone and placed it on the nightstand, shaking her head to an imaginary Natalie. Deep inside, Alia wished her friend was there, joking and talking about everything and everyone. Nat always knew how to deal with parties and... the fun part of life. At least I would have some real fun.