11. blue heaven

"So, honey, did you get my Gisele's autograph, or..."

Inside the old boat house, the paperback copy of Pride and Prejudice resting on her lap, Alia rolled her eyes to Nat's voice. The sun threw a yellowish light over the creaky unused boats, warming Alia's back. She sighed and a weary smile took over her lips.

"Hm, not yet. I just called to... hear your beautiful voice."

On the other side, Nat didn't say a word. Alia could almost imagine her sarcastic face and hazel eyes screaming are you for fucking real, Nazario?

"What happened? Where's Mr. H?"

After that super awkward moment between them in bed, Alia tried to ignore Mr. Henderson, who were invited by Carol to prove some pastries for the wedding in the downtown. At the morning table, everyone seemed excited to go to town, especially Edward.

She smiled politely and declined the invitation, ignoring Mr. Henderson's embarrassed gaze. No way Alia would play the girlfriend after... that. So she decided to stay alone, reading and trying to clear her mind with the old smell of boats and seagull poop.

But it wasn't helping, actually.

"He's out," Alia said quickly. "And I don't know, I... just wanted to talk to you," she closed the book and hugged her knees.

"You... had sex with Mr. H.?"

"Jesus, no!" Alia felt her cheeks burn. If it wasn't for a knock on the door, though... she sighed. "But we had a... moment, and sometimes I feel really bad for all this. We're deceiving everyone, and they're nice people. I mean, Colin is..."

Shit.

"Colin...?" Alia could see Natalie's eyebrows raising, and grimaced. "Well, this is new, darling."

"It'll be hard, Nat." She sighed. "I've met a side of him that's..."

Alia didn't finish the phrase and Nat waited. The silence in that phone call was everything she needed to calm down.

"I know, darling. But things can always change, right?" Nat's voice came through the line. "And now you're starting to befriend Mr. H., we can... go out to drink something, maybe?"

Right. Not in a billion years Mr. Henderson would go out to drink with his secretaries. But at least Natalie was trying to cheer her up.

"Yeah, who knows? You're the best, Nat."

"And that's why you'll take me as your roommate, right?"

They both laughed, even though Alia wasn't that inclined to be happy. In fact, Nat was the only person who could make her laugh a little.

"I'll be back tomorrow after, and then we'll talk."

"Ok. And, Alia?"

"Yes?"

"I know how you are, right? You overthink everything." Nat sighed, probably making that I know you, girl face on the other side of the line. "If something happens, don't... don't try to run away from it."

"What do you—" Alia started, feeling her ears burn.

"You know what I mean." She could almost see her friend smirking, imprinting that irritating know-it-all tone in the words. "Love you, Alia!"

She ended the call and sighed. The sun was shining against her back, the old smell of wood and salty water creating the perfect mood for a relaxing morning in the company of a good book, but Alia just couldn't stop thinking.