13. you must allow me...

When Alia woke up in the morning after, with an insistent sun ray knocking on her eyes, she heard the murmur of busy voices from afar. She groped for Mr. Henderson, but his side of the bed was empty. Sleepy and feeling the weight of the insomniac night in every muscle of her body, Alia dragged herself to the little balcony and watched the vast lawn of the house.

Hasty people were carrying more chairs, flowers and torches towards the private beach. Carol was transferring some beautiful red roses to another vase and asking to the waiters, most of them still sleepy, to straighten up their bow-ties and take more glasses to the beach.

She turned her head and saw, next to the improvised beverage table, Mr. Henderson and Jane talking, very close to each other. Edward, as usual, wasn't paying attention, entertained by the conversation of one of the chefs. But Alia was.

So, when Alia saw Mr. Henderson smile to Jane, hands in his pockets, she knew it was over. Feeling her ears burning, Alia drew back from the balcony. He gave her an answer. And she didn't have to be a genius to guess what he had said.

Ignoring the stupid tears, Alia put on the loose blouse and jeans shorts, arranged her black hair in a messy ponytail and opened her suitcase. How could you be so idiot and fall in love with your boss? Alia's head was spinning, hands shaking while placing her clothes inside the suitcase.

That wasn't fair. She, who always knew what to do, who always knew how to tell right from wrong, was caught acting like a stupid teenager in love. If Alia knew back then in what a simple contract would've led, she would've given everything to go back in time and refuse Mr. Henderson's proposal.

Now, Alia would do everything she could to stay away from him. Even if she had to give up of her meeting with Sagger and Zelda and her dream of becoming a big fashion designer.

After closing the zipper of her suitcase, she dialed Nat's number. Her friend answered after the second ring.

"I'm going back. I tried, but he gave her an answer and..." She cried. "They're perfect for each other and I'm... I'm seeing things. I'm sorry, Nat."

Alia wanted Natalie's forgiveness, because she couldn't forgive herself. The problem, she realized, was that burning in the back of her throat, that feeling of emptiness, of stupidity. Alia did the only thing she swore it would never, ever happen. She fell in love with her boss.

No, she didn't fall in love with him. She knew what was happening, how she had felt when Mr. Henderson had almost kissed her that morning. Alia only wished she could've noticed it earlier.

"It's okay, darling," Nat answered in a comforting tone. "It's okay."

"I'm gonna take a bus," Alia said, balancing the phone between her shoulder and ear while writing a note. "Can you wait for me in my... our apartment?"

"Sure. I'll take the wine," her friend said. "Just... give me call when you arrive, okay?"

"Right. And, Nat... I'm sorry for not, you know, getting your Gisele's autograph."

"Pff, you're way better than Gisele, dear. Just come home."

Alia smiled and ended the call. She left the small note on the desk, near a book Mr. Henderson had bought as a wedding gift to Jane at Mrs. Mendez's bookstore, and grabbed her suitcase.

It was the right thing to do.

▬▬▬▬

Mr. Henderson climbed the stairs and sighed when he finally arrived at the quiet second floor.

Everybody was going crazy in the lawn. Carol wouldn't stop talking about the flowers, Jane's dress, the bridesmaids arranges and chairs that still had to be organized on the beach. Rupert, Edward and uncle Tom wouldn't stop arguing about the best champagne and wine that should be served at the party. Christine, May's mother, was helping the RP agents of Jane and Edward, serving them juice and nervous smiles.