Chapter 26

After the toxins from the Shirshu's spasms wore off, the three of us returned to where we belonged: Right back on the ship that smelled strongly of tea, smoke, and salt water. Naturally, the first thing I did was collapse into my bed and sleep soundly for nearly 48 consecutive hours. Zuko had joined me for about 20 of those hours. Then it was back to business as usual.

The thing about Shirshu toxins: You still felt the sting of the tongue even after it had worn off. There was a large red mark on my side where I had been hit. Every day, Zuko and Iroh would alternate examining the mark — in case there were any future issues, as Iroh had pointed out. As sore as I was, I continuously shooed them away and protested that they needed to leave me be. I didn't need to be babied.

About a week and a half of sailing later, Iroh decided that it was time we had a music night on the ship again; we hadn't had music night in ages. He tried his hardest to get his stubborn nephew to participate, but Zuko refused. I guess the Tsungi horn was just not appealing to him.

At midnight, as one of the soldiers plucked the strings of his instrument, Iroh sang (quite badly, if you ask me):

Winter, spring. Summer and fall.
Four seasons, four loves.
Four seasons for love.

As he sang, I danced with each of the soldiers, everyone laughing and clapping as they awaited their turns. It was a good, fun night. Stars in the sky, the fire leaving a pleasant glow. Of course, nothing stays pleasant anymore it seems. Our festivities were cut short by the arrival of the second most despised person on my list: Admiral Zhao.

I looked at Iroh, still frozen in my dance with a soldier whose name I can never remember, who kept his expression unreadable. If only I had such a useful talent. I straightened up, waiting for whatever was to happen next.

I must've been overly consumed in my thoughts because all I heard next was "Come with me, Young Saki." I blinked a few times to see Iroh looking back at me, impatiently waiting for me to follow his orders. I hastily walked behind him as we went below deck to Zuko's quarters.

As soon as we opened the door, Zuko growled, "For the last time: I'm not playing the Tsungi horn!"

"No," Iroh said as I stepped in behind him. "It's about our plans. There's a bit of a problem."

On cue, Zhao entered, his hand brushing my shoulder as if he were about to push me out of his way. It took every fiber in my body to keep me from breaking his hand.

You will never understand how uncomfortable this man made me.

"I'm taking your crew," Zhao stated nonchalantly.

Zuko whipped around, not even close to nonchalant. "What?!" The two of them stepped closer to each other, which made me concerned that they'd get into a brawl in this small room.

"I've recruited them for a little expedition to the North Pole," Zhao said with a smug grin on his face.

"Uncle, is that true?" Zuko asked.

"I'm afraid so," Iroh said. "He's taking everyone." He sniffled a bit when he added, "Even the cook."

"Sorry you won't be there to watch me capture the Avatar," Zhao continued, "but I can't have you getting in my way again."