Chapter 28

"What happened to your face, child?" Iroh asked that next morning. "It's so swollen....and red."

"Nothing," I lied, brushing his hand away from my face. "I slept in a weird position, that's all." I knew he didn't believe me, but he didn't press any more.

We stood alongside Admiral Zhao as we neared the North Pole. The soldiers were all noticeably shivering from the sudden drop in temperature, even Iroh showed slight dissatisfaction with the cold. To me, it felt great. A great change from the constant heat of the Fire Nation and the humidity of the seas.

"This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh," Zhao marveled. "Just think: centuries from now, people will be studying the great Admiral Zhao — The man who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization." He turned his attention to me at the mention of my people, his glare burning through me like the fire he could manipulate. "You're lucky you're here to see it."

"Don't be so arrogant," I spat. "Even with this entire militia, the Water Tribe can overpower you. The only thing the history books will say about you is that you're a relentless coward who overestimated his strength." Zhao glared harder as if to threaten me, only receive a hateful glare in return. He didn't intimidate me, nor was I scared of what he'd have done had Iroh not been there.

"Be careful what you wish for, Admiral," Iroh replied gravely, noticing the venomous looks between Zhao and me. "History is not always kind to its subjects."

"I suppose you speak from experience." Zhao cleared his throat, looking back at the retired general, "But rest assured, this will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba Sing Se. Tell the captains to prepare for first strike."

Iroh nodded, following the orders given to him. Never had I seen this man follow anyone's orders. This man that has protected me for ages, that was like a father to me. I followed, but not without bending a small stream of water directly into Zhao's temple, a triumphant smirk on my face.

"You must learn to control your tongue around the admiral," Iroh said to me with a sigh. "I cannot protect you from everything, no matter how much I wish to." He was probably right, but I chose to stay quiet as our footsteps echoed through the corridors. We stopped behind a soldier, who kept his helmet on and his back to us.

"We'll be landing soon," Iroh whispered. "Do you have a plan?"

The soldier removed the mask from his helmet, glancing over his shoulder to look at us. "I'm working on it, Uncle."

My heart stopped.

My eyes locked with Zuko's, and suddenly my feet had turned me around and I was sprinting away. I don't know where I planned to go, but that didn't stop me. I ran until I was out of breath, which (oddly) happened to lead me right in front of the prison cell I was to call a bedroom.

Zuko was alive. That was all I could think about as I sat on the sad excuse of a bed. Zuko was alive. And no one cared enough to tell me.

"We need to talk," I heard a voice say. I looked up to find Zuko standing over me, mask in hand. As I looked at him, I noticed things I hadn't noticed earlier. Like the numerous bruises and cuts on his face. The burn marks from the explosion.

"I don't want to talk," I said, looking away.

"Fine." He looked around, then sat next to me on the cot. "Then listen. There's a reason I didn't allow Uncle to tell you.... I didn't want you worrying, and I —"

"Didn't want me worrying?!" I snapped, looking at him again. "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I deserved the peace of mind of knowing that you weren't dead at the bottom of the ocean or something? That the thought of you being alive and safe would've taken this incredible weight off my chest?!"

"I didn't want you to have to lie for me, Saki!" His eyes widened, surprised by my abrupt outburst. "You don't deserve to be put in this situation. I just want you to be safe."

"I haven't been safe since the day your mother brought me into the Fire Nation!" I frowned. "My safety shouldn't be your concern, Zuko; I can handle myself!"

Had we not heard footsteps coming, I would've done something I would've regretted: I would've confessed to him every lie I'd ever told him.

"This conversation isn't over," he said before sliding his mask back in place.

"When this is all over and you pull this off," I said quietly, "don't ever speak to me again."

He stood up, and left me behind.

After the sun set, Iroh came to my cell. He didn't say a word, nor did I. I simply knew that I was to follow him.

We entered a small room, and Iroh quickly shut the door behind us. Zuko stood in front of a wide port, prepping a small fishing boat, which I assumed was for him to go ahead of the army — to catch the Avatar before Zhao. He was no longer hiding in his soldier disguise. Zuko was covered head to toe in a white suit, which I doubted would keep him warm as he treaded through the mass of snow and ice to find Aang.

"If you are fishing for an octopus, my nephew, you need a tightly woven net. Or he will squeeze through the tiniest hole, and escape," Iroh spoke quietly.

Zuko didn't turn around. "I don't need your wisdom right now, uncle."

"I'm sorry," Iroh said quietly. "I just nag you because...." He broke off, his voice cracking. "Well..... Ever since I lost my son..."

"Uncle, you don't have to say it."

Tears streamed down Iroh's cheek as he looked away from his nephew. I laid a hand on his shoulder as he continued. "...I think you as my own..."

At this, Zuko turned around, finally looking at his uncle. Finally noticing me in the room. "I know, uncle. We'll meet again — " Iroh ran to hug his nephew, then quickly snatched my wrist and pulled my into the hug. Only seconds later did Zuko pull away. " — after I have the Avatar." Zuko then climbed into the boat and lowered himself down into the water with the ropes.

Leaning over the edge, Iroh nagged his nephew once again. "Remember your breath of fire. It could save your life out there!"

"I will."

"And keeps your hood up! Keep your ears warm!"

"I'll be fine."

Then Zuko was gone. Iroh frowned, looking as if he may cry again.

"He will be fine," I finally spoke, joining him against the edge. "If anyone can do this, it's Zuko."

"I truly hope you believe that," Iroh sighed, looking at me with misty eyes.

Unfortunately, I did.