New Kid On The Block

"Aren't you gonna shake my hand?" Johnnie was confused. Nobody had ever come up to the roof before. It was his place to be. "I haven't seen you round here before...Amelia?" Johnnie knew everyone in town, after all, a place with only 384 people in it meant that everyone knew each other. Well, make that 385. "I just moved here, from Cincinnati. I had to move away for...personal reasons" So, Amelia had her own secrets, but who doesn't? Johnnie looked up, and made eye contact. She smiled again. He could tell that they were going to be best friends.

"I saw you sitting on the roof, with your feet handing off the edge. I wanted to see if you were okay. Then you were going to jump as I got through the door..." Amelia's voice trailed off. Johnnie looked down at his hands. He should tell her why he was going to jump, but he hesitated, and decided to tell her when they became closer.

For the next hour, Johnnie and Amelia stood on the roof, talking and getting to know each other better. It was the first time in years that Johnnie had felt happy. When they next checked the time, it was 1.49 am, so Johnnie walked Amelia back to her apartment. "It was nice to meet you Amelia. My apartment is just a few doors down, at number 35? If you need me, come and knock at my door, I'm always there" and he walked away as she closed the door.

He smiled. Johnnie had actually made a friend that was similar to him. She had long, black hair with a deep side parting, covering her eye. Her black combat boots met with her ripped skinny jeans and on top she wore a black vest top and a leather jacket with the sleeves rolled up. Amelia had snake bites on her ruby lips and her piercing green eyes stood out thanks to the heavy black makeup she wore around her eyes. Her black attire contrasted beautifully with her pale, soft skin. But Johnnie couldn't help but wonder why she had to leave Cincinnati and come to Agloe, a nowhere town.

At least for now, Johnnie had a friend, and over the months, him and Amelia became inseparable.