Chapter One

"Car's too tight!" Landon Ryder tells his pit crew, as the sixth caution flag comes out. "Tight on corners two and four." He's in third place. He follows Jordan Anderson and Bentley Dirks onto pit road. Landon pulls into his pit box and the crew changes all four tires, fuels up and makes a track-bar adjustment. His crew chief gives him the signal to go. Landon is first off pit road, putting him in first place of the Daytona 500.

"You're the leader now, Ryder. We may be able to win this if you keep driving like you have been." Andrew Dawson, the spotter, tells him. Landon Ryder drives for Ryan Waters Racing.

"How many laps left, Erik?" Landon asks.

"Twelve laps, Ryder." Samija Tyler, daughter of crew chief Erik Tyler, replies.

"Thanks and remind me later to ask who you are." Landon laughs.

"And the caution flag is off! We are back to the race with twelve laps to go. Our new leader is Landon Ryder of Ryan Waters Racing." Jerry Alexander announces. Landon and the other drivers race around the track. None of them are able to pass Landon.  

"Green, White, Checker! Keep your speed, Ryder!" Samija says. 

"Thanks." Landon replies and keeps his distance ahead of Jordan Sanderson. The flag man is waving the white flag. The drivers fly around the track again.

"Checkered flag is out! Looks like Landon Ryder may go to Victory Lane! And he does!" Terry exclaims.

"You did it, Ryder! You did it again!" Erik cheers. The other drivers cross the finish line and head around the track to get onto pit lane.  

"Landon Ryder has done it again. 22nd race in a row this season. Yes, that means he's won every race so far this season! Elena Emmers takes second place, followed by Ali Emmers!"  Landon takes the checkered flag from the flag man and tucks the pole into the car's door. He takes his victory lap and does a burnout when he crosses the finish line.  Landon drives to Victory Lane. He climbs out of his car and gets handed a champagne bottle. Erik, Samija and the rest of the crew are already in Victory Lane, waiting. Landon shakes the bottle, pops the cork and champagne sprays all over himself, the crew and anyone in Victory Lane. 

"Hey Ryder, you did it! Congrats!" Samija stands behind Landon smiling. He turns around to see a beautiful brown haired girl with bright blue eyes standing next to Erik. She definitely has racing in her blood.

"Landon, this is my daughter, Samija. She would like to become a crew chief, so I let her be one for a little while today." Samija smiles brightly at Landon. 'Holy hell, she's beautiful.' Landon thinks as he shakes her hand and smiles back. 

"I might demote you, Erik, and hire Samija as my new crew chief. She seems to be doing a better job than you." The whole crew laughs. 

"Let's see how she does at the next few races before you decide who your crew chief is." Erik replies. "Let's get the car back to the trailer guys."

The crew walks the car back to the trailer, parks it in the trailer's stall and secure the car in place.

Landon and Samija walk to Landon's RV and wait for Erik to finish helping load the car so they can celebrate Landon's win.

"So how old are you, Samija?" He asks as he holds the RV door open for her.

"I'm 21, how about you?"  She smiles at him as she steps into the RV. "Wow, this is huge compared to my dad's RV.  It's really nice and cozy in here too."  

"Yeah, it is. But it's a good size for celebrating when I win races. Your dad and I have spent many nights drinking in here." He laughs and closes the door behind him. "I'm 24 by the way." Landon grabs a Mike's Hard Black-cherry Lemonade and a can of Busch Light. He hands her the Mike's. Erik walks in with a 30-pack of Busch Light as Landon hands her the bottle. Erik grabs a can from the box and cracks it open. Erik puts the rest in the fridge. 

"Don't be trying to get my daughter drunk, Ryder." Erik takes a drink and laughs.

"Dad, I can only have one anyway, seeing as I'll have to make sure you make it back to your little RV okay." Samija laughs takes a drink of the Mike's. 

"Don't worry, Erik, I'm not going to. That's not my intention." 

"Good!" Erik takes another drink of his beer. They sit and talk for a few hours. Samija drinks her mike's and resorts to drinking Mello Yello. Erik and Landon finish off the 30-pack. Ryan Waters walks into the RV with another 30-pack. 

"I didn't miss much, did I?" Ryan asks as Landon stands up to let Ryan sit in the chair he was in.  Landon sits on the cough next to a half sleeping Samija. By the time the second 30-pack is gone, it is 5 AM. Landon shakes Samija's shoulder lightly. 

"Let her sleep, Landon. I'll make it back to my RV just fine." Erik and Ryan leave as Landon covers Samija with a blanket.