Chapter Five

On Wednesday, Erik arrives at the Kentucky Speedway and just in time for the team meeting. 

"Tomorrow, there is a set time for the drivers to practice and adjust to the track. Friday is the pole qualifiers. There's also the final practice after the qualifiers. Then Saturday is race day! Have a great night ladies and gentlemen, tomorrow's practice time is at 5:30 PM."  The teams head to their RVs and trailers. 

"I'm going to check out the cars, make sure they got here safe and sound." Erik walks into the trailer. Each team has at least two cars with them at every race in case something breaks and isn't fixable on the main car. Both cars are identical, same engine, same everything. Landon and Samija head to Landon's RV. Over the last few days, their conversations and all the time they have been spending together has been bringing them closer. They are very close friends.  Samija sits on the couch. 

"Dad says the cars look perfect." Samija sets her phone on the table that is behind the couch. 

"Are you nervous?" Landon sits next to her, looking at her. She looks back at him.

"How can you tell?" 

"Your facial expression shows it all." He pulls her into a hug. "What are you nervous about?" 

"Everything. The fact that Dad wants me to be the chief for the whole race on Saturday. I'm nervous about you driving. The practices, the qualifiers and the race...." She trails off slightly. 

"Samija, listen, you're a great crew chief, when you started talking over the headset instead of Erik, it gave me even more determination to win that race. You give me even more determination to win the race on Saturday. And more determination to avoid any crashes, so that I can make it to Victory Lane and see your pretty face waiting for me there." She smiles shyly, relaxing some. 

"My pretty face waiting in Victory Lane, huh." 

"Absolutely. You're beautiful Samija, and you make every day better by being a part of this team. I'd love to have you as my crew chief, I would love to hear your voice over anyone else's anytime I am behind the wheel of these cars." 

"You think so?"

"I don't think, I know. I also know that you will do great on that headset for the next three days." 

"Thank you." Samija giggles, Landon is still hugging her. 

"You're welcome." He releases her.  "You really are beautiful." 

"Thank you. For everything. You have given me so much confidence about being on the headset." 

"You know it's true that you will do great." 

"Let's talk about the fact you think I'm beautiful." She stands up and walks to the cupboard. She had put her food into the cupboards on the way to Kentucky. She grabs the box of Chicken in a Biscuit from the cupboard. He stands up and walks towards her. She turns around and faces him. She opens the box and reaches her hand in the box.  "We've only known each other for five days. I do want to know you better than that."

"I'm well aware of that, Miss Samija. The length of time that we have known each other has no part in the fact that I think you are beautiful. I thought you were the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen in my life the second I laid eyes on you."  He stands directly in front of her and pulls the box out of her hands and sets it on the counter behind her. "All the things we talked about on the way here, and the time we've spent together. It's made me realize, you're that girl I described when you asked me what qualities I look for in a woman. That's you!" He puts his forehead to hers. He wished he could kiss her, but he knows he shouldn't because like she said, they've only known each other for five days. Eventually he would, just not today. 

"So you're saying you like me, Mr. Landon?" 

"I'm definitely saying that. And if I am right, I do believe your dad already knows this as well."

"And what are you going to do about it?" She smiles looking up at him. 

"I have one question. Would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" He pulls back from her slightly to look at her face. She is all smiles. 

"I would definitely like that! I don't want to rush anything. One step at a time."  They hug each other.

"I can agree to that."  

The next day, they walk to the car trailer as the team is working on it to make sure everything is clean and solid. Making sure everything runs right. Erik walks up to them. He hands Samija a blue and white wrapped box with a blue bow on top. 

"What's this Dad?" She asks letting go of Landon's hand.

"It's for you. Open it." She pulls the bow off and hands it to Landon. Samija tears the paper off and opens the box. 

"No way! Is this...my own headset?" 

"Do you like it?"

"Like it? I love it! Thanks Dad!" She hugs Erik.  The time flies by and it's time for Landon to get in the car and practice.  

"I'll be waiting to hear how you sound through your new headset." He smiles and walks to his car that is in line with all the other cars. 

"You seem happy today." Jordan Anderson inquires. 

"Definitely happy, man. Have a safe practice." 

"You too." Jordan climbs into his car. Landon adjusts the ear piece in his helmet and sets it in the car. He then climbs into his own car, buckles in, makes sure his neck brace is aligned right and fits snug when he puts his helmet on and buckles it under his chin. "Perfect." He says to himself. 

"What's so perfect?" Samija says over the headset. 

"Did I say that out loud? Oops." They both laugh. "My neck brace and harness are snug and perfect."

"That's great to hear. Be careful." 

"I will." He snaps the window in place. 

"Drivers are you ready to practice? You may start your engines and make your way to the track." Jerry says. The cars make there way to the track and the green flag is waving for the practice run. As usual, Landon drives his way to the front of the pack. They only complete twenty laps and the red flag is flying. The drivers go onto pit lane and head back to the garage. All the drivers climb back out of their parked cars. 

"Landon, man, what's got you happy today?"  Jordan tracks down Landon. 

"My team has a new member." He tells Jordan as Samija and Erik walk up to them. 

"Good run, Ryder." Erik says and walks away. Landon looks at Samija, who's standing next to him holding her new headset proudly.

"Hi Jordan." She says. 

"You must be Erik's daughter." 

"That I am." 

"She's also the new team member I mentioned. She's also my girl. She may someday take Erik's place as my crew chief. She hopes to anyway." 

"Finally someone to keep him in line!" Jordan laughs. 

"I'll definitely keep him first in every line of cars, including yours." Samija smiles as she grabs Landon's hand. 

"Touche. She's a keeper man." Jordan shakes Landon's free hand. 

"I know man, I know." Jordan walks away leaving Landon and Samija to walk back to the RV. "Good one by the way. He's never speechless." 

"Thanks. He walked himself right into that one." 

"That he did." They get to the RV. 

"You pick the movie this time." Samija says as she sits on the couch. Landon picks American Sniper. "Ooh, I like that one." 

"Me too." They watch the movie. Just like the last time, she falls asleep halfway through the movie. He picks her up just as he had the other night and carries her to the bed and covers her up. He goes back to the couch and falls asleep shortly after that.