Chapter Seven

"Samija, how many laps?" 

"Ten laps left. Don't lose focus. You got this!"

"Thank you baby." Landon smiles as he hears her words of encouragement. The cars fly around the track, Landon leading them all in a bright blue and white number 50 car.  

"Green, white, checker! Landon Ryder is leading the pack with a ten second lead! He's also got a substitute crew chief today.  Samija Tyler takes charge of this RWR team today! Good luck to her." He exclaims. "White flag is out!"  

"Two laps left, Ryder, you got this!" 

"How far ahead am I?"

"Eleven seconds now." Andrew, the spotter, says. 

"Checkered flag is out, ladies and gentlemen! Will this be another win for Landon Ryder of Ryan Waters Racing?" Landon maneuvers around the curves and crosses the line. "Landon Ryder does it again! He's won 40 out of 41 races!" 

"You did it! See you in Victory Lane?"

"Yes baby." He takes the flag, does a victory lap and drives to Victory Lane. He unsnaps the window and climbs out. He's given a champagne bottle, he shakes it and hands it to Andrew. Landon grabs Samija's hand and they run to Landon's RV. His personal vehicle had been unloaded before the race. 

"I'll head to Miami, you two drive safe." Adam says. 

"Thanks Adam." He opens the passenger door of his blue super-charged Dodge Charger. She gets in the car and he gently shuts the door once she's fully in the car. Landon walks around to the driver's side and gets in the car. He types the hospital's name into the GPS. The trip is ten and a half hours. Landon stops in Glendale, Utah for the night. They head out at 7 AM.  They reach the hospital around noon and rush to the reception desk. 

"How may I help you?" 

"What room is Ray Tyler in?" Samija's voice shows she's somewhat frantic and panicky. 

"Room 3005. Down the hallway and on the right, there is an elevator. Go up to the third floor and go right out of the elevator."

"Thank you!" They follow the receptionist's instructions and find room 3005. Samija walks in first with Landon right behind her holding her hand.

"Samija, sweetheart. I'm glad to see you!" Samija walks to the bed and hugs her grandfather, then hugs her parents.

"Oh Grandpa, I was worried." 

"Sweetheart, it's all okay now. I hear you are doing good on the crew chief training."

"I think so." She laughs.

"She's doing great, dad." Erik says. 

"She did a great job yesterday at Phoenix. She was my crew chief for the whole race, start to finish and did absolutely perfect. She learned from the best." Landon tells Ray.

"Ah, Landon, congratulations on the win yesterday! We watched it here in my room. You're right, she did absolutely perfect." Ray says as Landon shakes his hand.

"Thank you sir." 

"And thank you for making my granddaughter so happy." Ray smiles. "Your dad told me." He says looking at Samija.

"Dad!" Samija shrieks quietly seeing as she's in a hospital. They all laugh. 

"It's my pleasure, she's a great woman. I couldn't ask for anyone better to be in my life."

"That's what I like to hear." Erik and Ray say simultaneously. Lindy Tyler walks into the room and immediately hugs Samija. 

"Hi Grandma!" 

"Hi sweetheart, I was wondering when you would get here." They talk for a few hours and a nurse enters the room.

"I'm sorry, unfortunately visiting hours are over." She leaves. 

"Looks like we have to go for tonight. Samija, we got you and Landon a room at the hotel we are staying at. You will have to check in when you get there."

"Thank you, Erik." 

"Thank you for bringing her here. It means a lot to us."

"Anything for your family, Erik." They leave after saying goodnight and head to the hotel. Landon and Samija check in and head to the room. 

"Thank you for everything, Landon."

"Like I told your dad, anything for you and your family." She hugs him and they lay on the bed for a few hours watching TV and fall asleep.