1

I looked myself up and down in the mirror, twirling slightly so I could get a good look at every angle. My hair felt weird in a bun and I was certain that the white shirt didn't suit me at all.

Either way, I guess I looked somewhat smart enough to be a waitress. Smoothing down my skirt and tucking the remaining strands of my brown hair behind my ears, I shouted a hurried goodbye to my parents and began the short walk to the restaurant.

The October air on a Saturday evening meant that there was a slight chill so I quickened my pace and reached Corini's (Italian Cuisine) at 5:50, a good ten minutes before my shift was due to start.

The restaurant itself was lovely and there were already a few customers seated and pondering over menus ready for the evening rush. Each table was equipped with place mats with the restaurant logo, wine glasses, a variety of cutlery as well as mini candles, salt and pepper pots and an inbuilt table number.

I made a mental note about each arrangement because I was sure I would have to replicate it at some point and I strolled over to the bar where I could see my new boss, noticing that the restaurant had two halves.

"Amber!" He greeted with a wide smile, luckily we'd both remembered each other from my interview a few weeks ago "you're early"

"Hi Austin" I laughed. Austin wasn't that much older than myself, despite technically being the manager of the place it was only because it was owned by the family before him. He was also a tad shorter than me with cropped brown hair and he wore similar clothing but with trousers instead of a skirt, like almost everyone else here.

"Right, well let's get you started" he started, leading me to a small store cupboard "you can put your coat at the back here and I'll get Nate to show you around for tonight"

It was only as he was speaking that he realised that this Nate guy was nowhere to be seen. I dropped my coat on a box and followed him as he frantically rounded the corner. He sighed as he pointed out a short blonde to me who was currently serving drinks to a table on the first half of the restaurant.

"That's Nate, just introduce yourself once he's done and he'll show you around tonight. Um I've got some paperwork to sort right now but I'll get the chefs to cook up a little of the food for you to try in case the customers ask you about it. Head over there in about half an hour, they'll be waiting. Oh and have fun, don't be afraid to ask any questions and serve the ladies first" he winked before scurrying off to the bar once again.

After Austin left I checked on Nate who was now talking to another table so I headed over to the pile of menus they had and began reading it over to familiarise myself. I'm not sure what was so captivating but somehow I didn't notice the person behind me who tapped lightly on my shoulder.

I spun around "Nate?"

"That's me! You must be Amber right?" I nodded "Well then, Amber, I will be your guide for this evening and when I say guide I mean basically just follow me around, being a waiter is pretty easy to pick up"

"Sounds good" I said because he made me feel welcome.

"Let's go and clear their starter plates then!" he laughed pointing to a larger table on the far right.

I learnt a lot that evening, there were surprisingly more things than I'd first thought. I was really lucky to be offered to job in the first place considering I had no previous experience in waitressing and I needed the part-time money to save for university.

Corini's at 6:00pm on a Saturday evening seemed the only consistent thing for the next few months of my life.

Nate was very helpful. He'd showed me how to balance multiple plates and generally told me what they were so I could serve them to the right customers. He taught me about different drinks and how to clear, clean and lay tables efficiently.

He also introduced me to the other waiters and waitresses and then the chefs: Drew, George and Nate's girlfriend Brenda who had served me small portions of food to try which quite frankly were delicious.

The shift got very busy in the middle and I found myself dashing around quite a bit but as promised, it came pretty naturally to me and although I didn't particularly enjoy the stress that accompanied it, I could see myself here for a long time to come.

Nearing the end of my shift, Nate and I stood talking waiting until a customer called on us as it wasn't very busy. A table, number 24 if I remembered correctly, meant for four people in the far left corner caught my attention as it had only one person sat there.

Nate noticed me looking and waved at the boy sat there around our age with curly brown hair who returned the gesture. It was only now that he made eye contact with me and sent a cheeky smile in my direction. I smiled shyly back before looking away and whispered to Nate, "who is he?"

"Oh, that's Levi" I gave him a look which suggested he elaborate but he'd gone.

"Levi" I played with the name under my breath and as if he knew, Levi looked up and smirked.

I heard Austin laugh lightly from behind me "Every Saturday night at 7:30 sharp he'll be here so this isn't the last you've seen of him"

Good. I heard myself think, because I was intrigued.

***

So this is my first Tide Fanfiction, hope you enjoy! ~Megs