First Day Jitters

"So, ya think you're good now?" Pete asked, dropping the last box on the cement floor with a loud smack. Evie looked around the small space—a corner of the 3,000 capacity venue, where a couple of tables were set up with boxes scattered all around them containing the merchandise she was responsible for selling.

"Yep, I can take it from here."

"Okay, just leave some room for the opening band. Their guy should be over here any minute."

"Got it."

"And when you're done, shoot me a text. I'll let you know what to do, and where to go next."

"Will do." She smiled at Pete before he walked away. She'd done this more times than she could count. Her first move was to count all of the boxes—fifteen total. Then, remove one of each shirt (there were only five different ones) and begin pinning them to the board Pete had already propped up against the wall behind the table. She stretched each shirt across, allowing the designs to speak for themselves under the lighting. And when she was finished, she stood back to survey her work, then grabbed a couple of posters to hang them up as well.

The stage crew was busy setting up all the equipment on stage, and from what Evie could tell, the show was going to be a pretty typical production. The lights were being lifted to the ceiling as a couple of guys carried on a keyboard, and one tested all of the microphones.

"Hey," a male voice said.

Evie whipped around to find a guy, probably around her age, walking over with a box in his arms. He was tall and fit, his long legs clad in tight blue jeans, and his muscular chest wrapped in a thin white t-shirt. His brown hair was cropped close, but long on top, and he flicked his bang out of his eyes as he set the box down on the table next to hers. He held a hand out to her. "I'm Harrison. You must be the new merch girl."

"Evie," she said as she shook his hand. "What gave me away?"

Harrison didn't laugh, though. Didn't even seem to hear her as he studied what she'd already set up. "I was going to offer the new girl some help, but it looks like I won't have to." He grinned over at her as he opened his first box, other members of the crew bringing over the rest.

"Yeah, this isn't my first time on tour." She unfurled a large poster, barely glancing at the three guys on it as she stuck tacks into each corner.

"I can tell," he said, taking out a red shirt, his eyes still on her display. "You might want to put the shirts under the better lighting, though. You'll want to sell as many of those as you can."

Evie looked at him, wondering what part of "this isn't my first time on tour," he didn't understand. "I'm good. Thanks though."

Harrison shrugged, his muscular arms rippling as he lifted a shirt, and he shot her another smile. "Suit yourself."

They were quiet for the next few minutes, and Evie finished hanging the posters, then started sorting through the box of wristbands to display some on the table. She peeked at Harrison out of the corner of her eye. He was whistling to himself, and he had a tattoo half-hidden by the sleeve of his shirt. She was used to egos. And she knew how to stroke those egos when necessary. But she had no desire to stroke Harrison's. And besides, egos usually came with guys who were actually in the band. Knowing she'd have to stand next to his every night for the next four months wasn't particularly appealing.

"So, are you excited for the show?"

She met his blue eyes, his ridiculously big smile, and picked up a box that held a bunch of CDs in it. "Yeah, definitely."

"Have you seen Crossing Astor before?"

Evie removed one from the box. "No, actually I haven't."