{Chapter} 24

{Chapter 24}

Adam walked Katie up to her room later that night. The rest of the hotel was still wide-awake, even at the late hour, and Katie had no idea how she was going to sleep.

“I’m right across the hall if you need me,” Adam told her.

Katie smiled.

How convenient.

“Thanks. It was nice catching up tonight.” Katie stood in front of the outside of her door.

“It was. Didn’t realize how much I’d missed you.”

Katie sighed. Even with Ben, she had missed Adam, too. Even during her hatred of him.

“You know, Kate.” Adam’s voice grew soft and serious. “You once told me that I was the first man you had ever loved. While I appreciate that, being the last man you love is all I’m worried about.”

He leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss on her forehead, soft enough to feel like a butterfly had just brushed up against her.

“Goodnight, Kate,” he whispered.

Katie smiled. “Goodnight, Adam.”

She opened her door just as he opened his, and watched until his closed before closing her own. She leaned up against her door and slid down the length of it, a smile breaking out across her face.

“Oh, how I love you, Adam Sterling,” she whispered. “How I love you from the bottom of my heart.”

**********

The next two days passed quickly. Soon, though possibly not soon enough, the MC outfit was up and around preparing to leave Grayson City. Katie had bought a few more supplies to last them until they got back to Texas, though not near as much as the last time. They would reach home in less time than it had taken them to reach Grayson City because they were shy about three thousand cattle this time.

“Just think, Toothpick. No more riding drag,” Katie overheard one of the cowboys say to another.

“No more guard shifts.”

“And no more cattle drives for the rest of my life,” Walker, the youngest of the bunch, said.

The other cowboys laughed at that.

Katie shook her head and threw a sack of flour into the back of the chuck wagon, finishing off her load. After preparing Justin’s makeshift bed in the back and fortifying it with the pillows they had brought along, Katie was all ready to hit the trail home.

“Take it. We’ve gotta get outta here,” Toni said as she placed Justin in Katie’s arms.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Katie asked.

“Tiny got us in trouble in the hotel.”

Katie cringed. “What’s the damage?”

“He wreaked havoc on the place.” Toni sent the cowboys off to their horses.

Katie took the baby and put him in his place before clambering up onto the wagon seat.

“Mount up!” Toni yelled.

“What about Mark?” Katie asked.

“He’ll catch on.”

The bookkeeper from the hotel came running down the street after Tiny, whacking him over the head with a broom and yelling at him.

“What on earth did he do?” Katie asked as Toni mounted her horse.

“I’ll tell ya later,” Toni said.

“Honey, we better get going before that bookkeeper kills Tiny with that broom,” Erik rode up beside his wife.

Toni smiled. “I’d love to be the one to put that on his grave marker.”

“Get going, I’ll be along shortly with the remuda.” Erik turned his horse and rode off.

Tiny mounted his horse and spurred it into a run before the rest of them had a chance to catch on.

“He spilled burning coffee all over the hotel waiter, dumped a table over and broke all the china, tripped over an old lady and I think I heard a cat scream.” Toni shook her head as she explained to Katie what had transpired back in town. They were nearly three miles out of Grayson City now, so she felt safe to slow down.

“Why?” Katie asked.

“One of the boys jumped out from a corner and scared him.”

Katie laughed. “Of all the people, Toni, I’d never think you would keep a dufus like Tiny.”

“He’s dumb, but he’s a hard worker. I reckon that’s more valuable.”

“When do you think Mark will come along?” Katie grinned.

“I don’t know, but I wish I could see his face when he realizes we’re gone,” Toni said.

They both exchanged glances and burst out laughing.

“What are you two laughing about?” Mark’s voice asked.

The two women stilled and looked to Katie’s right. Mark rode beside them, a scowl on his disapproving face.

“Hi, Uncle Mark,” Toni greeted.

“You’ve got some explaining to do, young lady.”

Thanks for reading!!! Sorry it's so short!!