Chapter2️⃣

Everyone froze, before turning the gaze on him; Riley looked up from her current catalogue, Maya stopped midway through opening her next, Auggie peered up at him from the couch and even Topanga stopped cooking to turn her attention to the group in the living room. "What'd you just say?" Maya asked, clearly in shock.

"I said sure," Josh said with a shrug.

Maya eyed him, trying to figure out if he was teasing with a "sure, when pigs fly" thing, or if he was being genuine. He seemed serious. "Do you mean it, or are you just playing a really mean joke?" she asked him outright.

"I mean it. I mean, if your school is cool with the fact someone who doesn't go there will be attending," he replied. Of course Josh actually knew how big of a deal this was, but he was going to play it cool.

"Josh, you do realize what you're committing to, right?" Topanga asked, speaking up

"Going on a date with a girl I've known for like three years so she doesn't have to go to prom alone, or as a fifth wheel. I know Prom is a big deal, so she should have a nice night. It's not like I'm proposing or anything," Josh replied, leaning against the edge of the couch arm, still keeping a relaxed position.

"So this is just a one-time thing, huh?" Maya asked, not sure if she should be happy that she'd get one date, or disappointed.

"I'm only committing to one, I'm not saying I'll never go on a date with you again, but I'm also not asking you to go steady," Josh replied. "So what do you say, want me to escort you to your prom?" he asked. Oh, Jasmine would be thrilled.

Maya relaxed a bit at that, glad there was a chance for others. She smiled brightly and nodded. "I'd like that a lot, Josh," she answered.

"Wait, what happened to the whole 'she's too young for me' thing?" Riley questioned her uncle, clearly turning on her defense. While Josh was her uncle, Maya was her best friend and she didn't want her friend to get hurt.