Chapter Five:

"Leah? It's me."
I stand inside the entrance to my darkened flat which had been in complete abandonment for the past twenty four hours. The weapon had been left untouched on the table, the Tesseract piece glowing eerily blue in the darkness. The television screen was paused on Robert's startled expression.
"Isobel? What's wrong?" Leah's usually calm and collected voice was tinged with concern.
"I understand it's late to be ringing you. I'm sorry. I have only just been released from hospital," I say. There was little of which I remembered, but it was evident of what had happened. I had woken up to a dimly lit hospital ward, long plastic tubing inserted inside my veins. Chris sat beside me, his eyes closed and breathing softly. He appeared younger and more vulnerable than ever before.
"What happened?" I asked after he had woken up.
"You passed out," Chris said gently. "If I hadn't caught you, you would have fallen. You began murmuring but wouldn't wake up. I didn't know what to do. I had no other choice but to ring an ambulance."
I had been unconscious for fifteen hours. For the entire time, Chris had stayed with me - even ringing work to say that neither of us would be coming in. Fuelled by coffee alone, Chris had taken me back to the flat with no objections.
"Are you sure you will be okay?" he asked as I stepped into the flat.
"Yes." I hugged him close. "Thank you. For everything." I murmured inside his ear, brushing my lips against the light blonde stubble dusting his jaw. I expected the voice to whisper something bitter and venomous inside my mind. Instead it said nothing. Its intention was to stay quiet.

..."Do you have any appointments tomorrow?" I wait for Leah's response.
"Good. I would like to see you tomorrow. Ten would be good." I end the call. I took an almost hesitant step into the room. Chris had lent me one his faded t-shirts. The material smelt faintly of cologne and linen, hanging loosely off my frame. It appeared more like a nightdress rather than a shirt. Rejecting the decision of clearing up, I did nothing more than wearily climb into bed, still wearing Chris's shirt and my own underwear. The fabric felt soft against my cheek, almost as soft as when his mouth had been on mine...

"...am I going mad? Delusional? Is this ever going to stop?"
I am sat inside Leah's office, the nails of my hand digging painfully into my palm. I had made little attempt with myself this morning - my hair tumbled recently washed past my shoulders and I wear my oldest shirt and jeans. I was too concerned about what was wrong with me to care about my appearance.
Leah, looking as stunning and attractive as ever, passes me a glass of water.
"I will speak honestly with you Isobel, but I have never heard of anything like this before. For a voice inside your head to cause you so much pain its makes you unconscious is beyond anything I have dealt with before."
Both my heart and stomach sink at Leah's words.
"So...there's nothing you can do? You can't cure me of these voices or dreams?"
Sympathising with a smile, Leah places her hand over my own.
"I can prescribe you some more medication, but I am concerned to what those effects that they will have on you like last time."
I was running out of options, running out of time.
"Is there nothing else?" I plead.
Leah shakes her dark head at me.
"I'm afraid not."
The session was coming to an end too soon.
"Wait." I look Leah directly in the eye. "There's something else you should know."
Leah eyebrows had risen in interest. I take a breath.
"I know who the voices belong to - have always belonged to. I think I am right when saying this but...the voices. They are Loki's."

YOU FOOL!

I gasp as hot searing pain strikes my temples.

You was not supposed to tell her! How dare you tell her you pathetic mewling quim!

"Argh!" a familiar and prolonged pain feels like a red hot poker being held against my skull.

"Isobel?" Leah has moved swiftly to my side. "Isobel."

Listen, Loki's voice jabs ruthlessly into my mind.

Since you have already effectively ruined part of my plan I want you to do at least one thing right for me. Do not tell her that I am talking to you now. Tell her and you will regret for ever making the decision.

"Isobel." Leah's vice - like fingers clutch the flesh of my arm, making me wince.
"I'm fine," I reassure her lamely, giving her a small smile.
"Would you like me to ring an ambulance? A friend?"
"No thank you," I shake my head.
"It was nothing. Forget what I said. I think I just need to go home."

Good girl.