Chapter Fifteen:

"Again."
I squeeze my eyes shut. I slowly feel the threads which bind Loki's mind to mine loosening and I quickly latch onto one of these wavering strands. My breath escapes slowly out of the corners of my mouth as I feel the strain of his mind trying to push me out. My hands clench into fists. If only there was a small entrance to which I was able to find, allowing me direct access into his thoughts...
It becomes too much. I can't concentrate on Loki's mind any longer and I am slammed painfully back into my own. My head jerks back and my eyes snap open.

"Shit," I say miserably.
This was harder than I thought.
"Let me try again," I say closing my eyes.
"No Izzy, you've tried enough times today."
"I can do this," I say determinedly, not allowing Tony to put me down. "Let me try once more."
I concentrate on the link to where Loki's thoughts lie. I imagine myself to feel like Loki, to become him and to know what he is like.
This was a man who craved supremacy. This was a man who lusted for innocent blood dripping through his fingers. This was a man whose heart was twisted and cruel. This was a man who had been cruelly betrayed...
I was skittering on the edge of Loki's conscious. Break the ice and I was through.
Come on, I urge myself.
For a moment I thought I had entered his mind when the resonating clap of thunder above caused me to lose the connection completely. I breath out a sigh.
"That doesn't sound too good."
All eyes look up to the ceiling.
"Always having to make an entrance," Tony mutters.
Another crash of thunder shakes the room we are standing in. Dr Banner, Tony and I all head out of the room and make our way through the corridor. We stand opposite to Director Fury who is heading out of the SHIELD base. It is dark outside although it was two o'clock on what had been a previously pleasant afternoon. Black ominous clouds had gathered, blocking out the sun. On the roof of the SHIELD building stood a figure whose cape fluttered in the breeze.
"Thor Odinson," Tony scorned. "Long time no see Point Break."
With cat - like grace, Thor jumps from the roof and lands lightly on his feet before us.
"Man of Iron," he greets. "Doctor Banner. Lady -"
"Jones," I say. "Miss Isobel Jones."
"Let me guess," Stark questions. "You're here about He Who Shall Not Be Named?"
"My brother?" Thor instantly guesses. "I'm afraid so. I have come to tell the people of Midgard that my brother cannot be traced from any location upon the Nine Realms. All we know is that he and Lady Sigyn plan to unleash war upon your lands. This time they bring the most dangerous and feared criminals of all of the Nine Realms. Some like my brother, want to take revenge upon your earth and it's people."
"Hell," I speak softly.
"Do you how much time we have before they unleash their attack?"
The voice belongs to Director Fury, immediately stepping in front of Thor demanding an answer.
"Days?" Thor suggested, shrugging his large shoulders. "Weeks? I do not know when they will be readying themselves for war."
All eyes turn to look at Director Fury.
"We have a code red," he speaks quietly into his earpiece. "I repeat, this is code red."
Then he turns, his hand still pressed against his ear before returning inside the SHIELD base.

***
The next hour is spent with agents being thrown into chaos, all of which are working faster than before to try and find the whereabouts of Loki and his army. Tony takes the decision of heading to Stark Towers to prepare his suits whereas Dr Banner - having scraping the idea of the Tracker completely - goes to assist the agents. This leaves me standing in the room all by myself.
I sit down on a discarded chair in the centre of the room and stare at the painted whitewashed walls. Apart from the occasional murmuring of voices and footsteps it is completely silent. This was my opportunity.
Positioning myself comfortably inside the chair I close my eyes. This time, I am able to quickly attach onto the connection which still lies potent and poised inside my mind. As my thoughts are pushed aside I am drawn to Loki's mind with a determination which I haven't felt before. His thoughts are scattered in pieces of words and imagery which I begin to collect together. I suddenly cry out as a sharp and immediate pain is injected like a needle through my brain. The pain quickly subsides and I realise that I have successfully entered Loki's mind.
I had done it.
With a feeling of achievement and satisfaction, I begin to listen into his thoughts. I am able to feel the emotions which he is feeling. It is to my surprise that besides the hatred, anger, vengeance, there is sadness, remorse and even fear collected alongside the more active and forceful emotions. It causes my own head to spin.
The first person I find is Director Fury.
"I know where Loki is," I say breathlessly, having just ran through the entire SHIELD base to find him. Director Fury is immediately engaged in the conversation.
"Where is he?" he demands.
"Loki's here. On earth."