Chapter 24: Stick Around

Conner Bailey tapped his Mom on the shoulder in an urgent rate. Charlotte finally turned around after four taps. 'Yes Conner?' She looked confused.

'Can we please go? I'm getting a bit bored.' Conner said quickly and his eyes darted around the mall, checking to see if Bree was watching him.

Charlotte shrugged. 'I suppose so. But didn't you allow me to shop? And plus I was going to buy this pair of jeans!' She held up a pair of navy blue skinny jeans and Conner looked weirded out. Charlotte suddenly looked embarrassed and realised what she was buying. She immediately put the jeans back down. 'Well then, I suppose we can go. I just have to throw this away...' Before she was could finish what she was saying, Conner snatched her empty juice bottle out of her hands and held his too, dashing to the rubbish bin that was like 20 metres away from them and back.

Mrs Bailey looked at him in a suspicious way. 'Are you okay Conner? You're acting sensible...which is strange.' She questioned. Conner pretended to look offended and hurt. He placed his hands over his heart and gasped at her.

Charlotte cracked a smile. 'Fine fine. C'mon, let's go to find our car.' She pulled Conner by his sleeve for a second before letting it go and opening her phone to check Notes, which is where she'd written the position of the car in the parking lot. Mrs Bailey had always seemed to misplace her car, so this time Conner suggested that she should record where she'd parked it this way she wouldn't forget.

She was too busy looking at the screen of her phone to notice that Conner was nervously looking around to see if Bree had been following them...

•••

'When we get home, I want some chocolate milk.' Whined Conner, which was something he didn't usually do. 'What?' Charlotte shot him a look through the mirror at the front of the car. Normally, Conner hated whining and he avoided it as much as he could, but somehow, it has always been a habit of his that he was always whining for chocolate milk whenever he gets paranoid or nervous.

'I meant...' Conner started to protest, but his Mom stopped him. 'It's okay Conner, I know you've had a rough few days. Look, tell you what, as a treat today, I'll go to the shops and buy you a chocolate milk. Since you came out and did shopping with me." Charlotte snickered slyly. Conner sighed with relief.

When they got home, Conner told Charlotte that he didn't want the milk at all so she could just save the special trip. Then he went upstairs and was about to surf the net when the doorbell rang. Ding-dong! Ding-Dong! Ding-Dong! It rang triple times at a high pitch. Dr Bob's house had the best doorbell ever.

'Who is it?' Charlotte placed down her car keys on the counter and went to the door, opening it slowly. A familiar voice flooded in the house and Conner couldn't help but listen.

'Hello, Mrs Bailey.' A deep voice boomed. Conner froze- he'd recognised that cold voice. It was Mr Campbell. Conner's Mom seemed to be caught in a daze as well since she wasn't speaking.

'Mr Campbell. What are you and your...family doing here?' Conner heard his Mother say after a long pause. He took a few silent steps down the stairs to get a better look. Standing behind Mr Campbell was Bree, Karen, another blonde girl and a little boy with a scooter. Mrs Campbell stood next to her husband, looking anxious.

Mr Campbell immediately opened his mouth to reply, but Mrs Campbell nudged him on the arm and whispered, 'Oscar, think this straight! Are you really sure you're going to do this? I mean, don't be so rude to them!' loudly. For someone like Conner, he was born with super hearing, which meant that no matter how far away someone is, (that is, within 20 metres to be exact), Conner could clearly hear what they're saying. As for his Mom, an average human being, cannot hear.

Conner watched as Mr Campbell shrugged off his worried wife. It was up to this point that made Conner think that the rest of the family were just all forced to come. Bree didn't even look at him. She probably didn't see him- he was hiding after all.

'Me and my family today, are here to inform your family, that you all are no longer allowed into my property. Do not ever come near us and definitely do not talk to us.' He scowled, shooting Conner a frozen glare, which scared Conner since Mr Campbell shouldn't have been able to seen him at all.

Conner remained still as he looked at his mom fold her arms and grow angry. 'Oh no you don't! You shall not threaten me at my own house! You nasty man! How rude!' She scolded in a loud voice. Conner felt sick- he'd never seen her this angry before, not even when he got three Ds in third grade and fifth.

'Now now, what's going on here eh?' Another familiar voice interrupted. Everyone turned around to find Dr. Bob at the door, carrying a paper bag of groceries. He looked clueless of what's happening and pushed through the Campbell family to get in. 'Honey I bought the things you were asking for.' He said smiling to Charlotte. Mrs Bailey looked stressed. 'Sweetie, this isn't the time for this right now.' She whispered and pushed Bob away.

'What?' Dr. Bob looked hurt. Then he looked at the angry Mr Campbell and the rest of his scared and worried-looking family. Dr Bob still didn't get it and he looked around be room. Nobody talked. Finally, Bob spotted Conner on the stairs. 'Oh Conner! There you are bud!' He smiled and rushed towards Conner. By the mention of his name, everyone's head turned to look at me. His Mom's face was scrunched up with disgust and confusion, Mr Campbell looked mad. Karen, the other blonde girl, and the little boy with the scooter all looked at other things, clearly not wanting to be here right now. Mrs Campbell was shocked and pulled onto Mr Campbell's sleeve. Bree looked away.

'Urrr...' I started to mumble as Dr Bob walked to me on the steps and pulled me into a hug. 'Why are you standing on the stairs? Come down.' He laughed his weird laugh and pulled me down with him. Right. Nice. Now I'm feeling so embarrassed. Would you just stop Bob? Conner thought with rage and embarrassment.

Mr Campbell cleared his throat and everyone turned to him again. 'As I was saying, you and your family are no longer welcomed at my home.' He shone a fake smile at Bob, who was scratching his head with confusion.

Charlotte's face turned red and she looked as if she was going to shout again. Bree finally looked at Conner. Conner didn't look back, and he didn't notice.

Dr Bob finally understood and he looked angry. 'Woah woah woah. Hold on there man. This is my home. Do not come and tell us off, at my home.' Bob hissed at Mr Campbell.

'Oh I'm deeply sorry, Mr "Conner's Dad" but your stepson has shown some rude behaviour, which in sure you all know, so anyways, I'm here with my family today to let your family know that you're all no longer allowed in my property. That's all I have to say. Now, good-bye.' He snarled and tried to walk out when suddenly, a huge flash of purple smoke appeared in the middle of where everyone was standing.

'ARGHHHH!' Screamed Mrs Campbell.

'WHAT IS THIS?' Mrs Bailey yelled at the smoke.

Dr.Bob's face went from rosy pink to vomit green.

Mr Campbell had a shocked face on and was examining the smoke suspiciously looking up.

Karen, the blonde girl and the little boy all started to yell and panic and the boy was crying.

Bree looked pale and scared. Conner just wanted to go over and hug her the whole time. He felt uncomfortable by looking at her like that.

'IM GETTING OUT OF HERE! MELANIE, COME WITH ME!' Mr Campbell suddenly bursted out shouting to his terrified wife. He covered his head with his arms and screamed in terror. The smoke blew huge winds on the families, and although Mr Campbell was already pulling on Mrs Campbell's hand to run, the wind and smoke stopped, and everyone fell into the big portal.

Whatever this is, it can't be good...

••••••

HEY GUYS!

It's your admin, @cloudycomics! I'm so sorry I haven't been on lately and updating the story, (which is the most read). I'm so so sorry since I've been busy with my life and doing stuff blah blah blah...

But yah! Now I'm back yay!!! I'm so excited to continue writing more and I hope all of you would enjoy!

Love you all! Xxxxxoooooo