Chapter 2

•••

The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

•••

The Mystic Grill was a corner building painted in a muted turquoise color with buttercream yellow awnings on one side.

During the hour long drive from the airport Colette had started to become peckish and she did not want to go to her new home without eating first. There was a one hundred percent guarantee that there would be no food in the lodge as the last time it had been graced with a visit from anyone had been back in 2003.

The twenty-year old was watching the road as a sign advertising an aptly named 'Mystic Grill'  caught her attention. She decided to stop and eat some lunch as her stomach growled again most aggressively.

Colette parked the Range Rover and stepped out, briefly stopping to press the automatic door-lock button on her key ring, which she had taken from her beige Fendi bag.

The brunette had been instantly aware of the eyes glued to her form as she slid out of her car. It had always been this way- her aura demanded attention and attraction from people around her.

Colette's steps were long and confident, filled with self-assurance and a hint of arrogance as she minded the gazes of the men across the street no mind. No mind at all.

As she stepped through a murky green door, Colette sneered as she saw the wooden furniture and lax behavior everyone seemed to be exhibiting.

Really, she thought, they could at least try not to fill the whole room with their obnoxious voices.

The room was half full of people, apparently this place was popular with the locals- and tourists she noted as she saw a small family sit isolated, the children eating a burger with chips.

Colette picked out a table situated on the other side of the large room, but not before she had assured herself of all the security exits and possible situations which could arise.

The European had chosen a seat at a two seater table in a dark corner of the square room and sat to observed the people around her.

She was once again aware of the people watching her, their jealous eyes were nearly burning in the back of her head.

Colette picked her iPhone out of the beige Fendi bag and dialled a number she had learned out by heart just as the Grill's door opened and a man stepped in.

The brunette paused in typing the number in and observed the man who was most possibly the most handsome man she had ever seen.  He was gorgeous, possessing dark hair and eyes, a lean and athletic build and lookingaround a bout twenty to twenty-two years old.

A thing struck Colette during her observation- she couldn't place him in this time period. The man moved with a grace only achieved through high-class breeding like herself, but he was alert and predator like at the same time.

It seemed as though he came from an earlier time period- perhaps the tenth or eleventh century.

He wasn't human, that much was clear, the man was clearly holding back amazing amounts of speed and power judging by his measured but confident strides.

Vampire?

Definitely.

Mystic Falls had just become interesting, very interesting indeed.

Colette snapped out of her musings and continued tapping in the number that would connect her with the telephone of the Mystic Falls Sheriff, Sheriff Forbes.

While Colette lifted her iPhone to one delicate ear, the man was surveying her- he couldn't remember ever seeing someone as hypnotising as her. She had luscious and shiny brown hair and intelligent blue eyes which were gazing at her phone as her nimble fingers typed in something. She was drop-dead gorgeous with aristocratic features and a full pouty pink mouth.

The brunette was dressed in expensive clothing, everyone could see that, but it wasn't just expensive- it was tasteful and stylish.

He sat down at the bar, only a few feet away from the siren and turned to the bartender to order a whiskey which he promptly received. Tilting his head slightly, the hunky man listened to the fascinating brunette as she typed in the last few digits, he heard the beep tone for a few seconds and then a voice answered the call.

"Hello, this is Sheriff Forbes. How might I help you?" Came a tinny voice and the man wondered what the captivating siren had to do with the law enforcement.

"Hello Sheriff Forbes. This is Colette Archer, I believe we have spoken before." The woman drawled lazily and the male could feel shivers run down his back as he heard her speaking. Her voice was slow and measured, full of confidence and demanding respect.

"Ah, yes, Miss Archer. How may I help you?"

"Well Sheriff, I have just arrived in Mystic Falls and I would like to come along with the next homicide investigation if that is in any way possible." The brunette answered politely, but from her tone of voice it was very obvious to anyone that she was their superior. Why? The man wondered. Who is she?

 "That would be nice. It is an honour to have someone of your standing helping our humble Sheriff's department. I will call you back when we get a new murder, is that all right?"

The brunette smirked and the man looked her over once more. Someone of high standing, that's what the Sheriff said. What kind of high standing? How could someone as sweet looking as this brunette be involved with homicides?

"Please to inform me straight away when you have discovered a body, I like to look around the crime scenes as well."

"Understood. We will be issuing you with a police weapon so that if you have any issues due to you helping us, you can defend yourself."

Once again the woman smirked, but this time it was simply dark, a smirk that could skin any mortal man with its wickedness.The man felt another shiver run down his back and wondered how she could affect him like that. He had never had an attraction this enormous to a mortal or vampire.

"That wont be necessary Sheriff, I have my own weapons."

"Oh, all right. I'll let you know when something has turned up, Miss Archer."

"That would be most welcome. Goodbye Sheriff."

"Goodbye Miss Archer."

Colette put her phone down after pressing the disconnect button and waved a waiter to her table. He was a natural blonde judging from his roots, tall, tan from the sun, muscled and very smiley.

He played football if she was to judge from the placement of his muscles and their size. The waiter seemed about eighteen years old and totally enamoured by the brunette.

"Hi, I'm Matt. I'll be your server today. What would you like?"

Glancing down at her menu, Colette decided on a serving of pasta and a tea before telling Matt her order. Matt, who was obviously very taken with the brunette, walked away but turned around just before he entered the kitchen and blushed pink when he saw her raised eyebrow which was directed at him.

The effect that the English rose had on men was very amusing, but the man felt nothing but a great surge of jealousy and possessiveness when he saw the blonde waiter turn to catch a last glimpse of what he now thought of as his.