Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Alfonse Frankenstein cried with delight when Sir John sent Georgia's servant, Nettie, to his home along with a trunk of clothes for Georgia. "Miss Daniels!" He laughed as Georgia descended the steps for breakfast. "You're to stay here for two months! We are so delighted. I've even taken the liberty to arrange another room for you, one with a piano, and it opens out to the patio! I think you will be quite comfortable there and at leisure to practice your music when you please."

"Mr. Frankenstein," she said coming towards him. "Truly, you are a dear friend. My father would have been so pleased to know that I have such good friends. Please, this is Nettie." Georgia gestured to her shy friend and confidant. "She's been with me my whole life, like an elder sister."

The mirth in Alfonse's eyes faltered briefly. "Like our dear Justine," he muttered. "Eat and then we will get you settled. Miss Nettie, do you play cards?"

Nettie blushed but nodded. It had been years since anyone had addressed her in such a manner. Perhaps she would not be too cruel in their evening game of cards, she might let him win.

***

Evening came much quicker than they realized and supper was served at nightfall. Alfonse would hear none of Nettie's protests and demanded that she dine with them. A full dining table, he told them, looked better than an empty one. Dinner began awkwardly as Georgia attempted to ask Victor about his studies in Ingolstadt.

"I've left the university," he replied curtly as he tossed back his dark blond hair. "It wasn't for me. Besides, I was needed here." After that, he would speak no more, not unless asked a direct question, something Georgia felt increasingly uncomfortable doing.

"Miss Daniels, how long have you been playing the piano?" Asked Alfonse.

"Since I was a small girl. My mother used to play and I always wanted something of hers that I could keep forever. Music seemed natural, like breathing and eating, and laughing."

"And your father approved of this?"

Georgia nodded. "Yes, sir. He always encouraged me. He used to say 'life is too short to waste it on occupations you do not love'. He worried I would be unhappy and I promised him that that could never be: it is against my nature to be unhappy."

Alfonse agreed and pressed further, trying to stimulate and facilitate conversation. "Do you miss Southampton? Your amiable friends?"

Georgia tucked a phantom strand of red hair behind her ear unconsciously. "Of course, but it was necessary for me to leave, at least for a while. I write to my friends, well, one, Mrs. Davenport. She one of the finest women in England; I miss her dearly. As does Nettie," she added with a knowing smile. "They played cards, often."

When dinner finished Victor whisked Elizabeth into the study where they spent the remainder of the evening chatting in private. Alfonse invited Nettie to a round of cards that involved several long hours of Nettie deliberately losing only to destroy Alfonse on the last hand. Georgia was greeted by their roaring laughter well into the night. Life in Geneva, especially the Frankenstein house, seemed so relaxed, so open. Her troubles in England seemed but a distant dream.

Georgia, however, was eager to return to her room and practice her music. Much to her delight, she found that few could hear her playing; she would disturb no one and they would not disturb her. Her fingers met the keys of the piano like a tender lover, learning once more the tender places to touch. In the dull light of the candles and hearth, Georgia hummed a slow melody as her fingers tapped out the lulling notes. Peace came to her through the music and through her books, they could almost make her forget.

With a jolt, Georgia accidently hit the wrong black key, disrupting the flow of her song. It was like a tear in the sky and caused Georgia to freeze. Her fingers hovered over the keys as the hairs on her body stood on end. In her chest, her heart thundered, the palpitations threatened to break her ribs. She wheezed in fear.

"I know you're there," she said in breathless fear. She was met with silence. "I-I knew you were there in the forest." Still, no answer came. She wanted to turn and catch him in the act, whoever he was, but she was frozen in fear. "Do you plan to kill me?" Her voice trembled ever so slightly, but she pushed her fear aside as best she could.

Her fingers trembled. If she screamed out, help would come, but judging by Victor's actions throughout her stay, no one in the Frankenstein household would ever taste freedom again.

Annoyed by the silence, she plucked up the courage to ask him more aggressively if he was going to kill her.

"— No."

Her heart skipped a beat and a scream began ascending in her throat. What creature bore that voice? The once soft and delicate timbre was now broken and cracked with an odd inflection. Would he say anything else?

"Why are you here?" Georgia's voice was barely a whisper.

She heard the sound of a crumpled parchment paper behind her. It hit the floor softly and came to rest at her feet. Slowly, she bent over and as the took hold of the paper, out of the corner of her eye she saw the shadow of a figure race from her patio. The piano stool fell over as she sprinted to the door, hoping to catch him. Like a bird in flight, the figure sailed over the lawn. His cloak billowed and flared as he ran, leaving her to speculate his true size. He was fast, and light on his feet. When he reached the tree line he stopped and turned back to her. He was too far for her to truly see him, but she knew he was looking at her. He lingered only a second before disappearing into the night.

Left with the aftermath of her fear and crinkled parchment, Georgia convinced herself to shut the patio door and close her piano for the night. When she finally felt relaxed enough to sleep she opened the parchment to find that it was a tattered sheet of music belonging to a larger piece. She hastily read through the lyrics down to the scrawl at the base of the page. The figure had left her a note.

Play this for me