Chapter 5

Chapter 5

One two three four, two two three four, three two three four, four two three four, flat. Georgia groaned as she struck the f flat again. It was not a complicated piece, but it certainly was strange to her classical ears. She wondered if it was a folk piece, but could not be sure. Alfonse Frankenstein swore he had never heard it before.

"Is it not one of the pieces you brought with you?" He questioned as he looked over the page. "What is that on the bottom? An admirer? His penmanship lacks discipline. What sort of fellow was he that gave this to you?"

Victor seemed ill at ease the more his father pried. It did not escape Georgia's notice. Her phantom of the night was connected to him. As to how they were connected, she could not say. Did Victor know someone came to her at night? Or that she had been visited for the past several evenings? Why would he not say anything?

Elizabeth fretted over him like a dutiful wife and had tea brought to all of them. She smiled meekly at Georgia; she had run out of excuses for Victor. Georgia finally tore her gaze from her fair friend to speak with her merry host.

"Yes, I do believe it was a young man in England. He was painfully shy if I recall. It must have been given to me before my father passed." Her emerald eyes fell back on the music; guilt plagued her, but she could find no other way of explaining how it had come to her. The Frankenstein's were a friendly family, heedless of rumors and gossip, they thrived only on life and happiness, but even they could never respect her for allowing a strange man to approach her in her private quarters. Indeed, she felt a strong sensation that Alfonse would be disappointed in her. Her affinity with him was becoming stronger as he reminded her so much of her departed father.

"Well, the lad is quite far away now," he laughed. "Will you sing what you have for us?"

Her gaze flickered beyond the window of the Frankenstein parlor to the forest line. It was too chilly of a day for them to keep the windows open, but Georgia wondered if her visitor could hear her. Placing her right hand near the end of the piano with her other hand on the center keys, Georgia began her steady rhythm.

"By the meadow did I dream

of thy love so sweetly

as soft as ringing bells

in your arms my heart doth dwell"

"Shame you broke the lad's heart," joked Alfonse. "'Tis a splendid piece and played too beautifully by the most talented pianist of our time!"

Georgia blushed and Elizabeth implored her father to cease his adoration. "Shall we go for a walk?" Asked Georgia as she rose from her piano. Alfonse blanched.

"My dear, it is quite cool!"

"Fresh air will rejuvenate me. This music is new to me and a bit frustrating. I think a short walk around the grounds will help me clear my mind," she countered.

"Who really gave you that music?" Snapped Victor suddenly. He rose from his seat, leaving Elizabeth to gape. His gaze burned into her, frightening her.

"Victor! What in heaven's name?" Cried his father. "Miss Daniels, please forgive my son, he has been under a great deal of stress lately. Please, take your stroll. Take Nettie with you."

A smile was on his face, but not his eyes. Victor's behavior scared her more than the unknownness of her nightly visitor. Folding the sheet of music into her pocket Georgia was a momentarily distracted from being caught in the awkward exchanges between the Frankenstein family. Georgia quickly took her leave and fetched Nettie.

***

A cool breeze served as a bitter reminder that winter was not a season to be trifled with, certainly not in a foreign country where they were the guests. Nettie and Georgia endured it by thinking of how the sun would return soon and with it, the soft warmth of spring. But Georgia's thoughts weren't on the weather, her mind lingered on him.